cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I entered a wrong email adress and password.

Explorer | Level 4

Hello.

I signed up for the drop box on February 7th around 8 to 9 with this device. However, this site did not double check the password when I signed up, so I entered the password incorrectly. Now I can't log in to this account with another device.

I know there are various ways to find a password. But I can't use any of it. Because I entered an unavailable email. The e-mail is mine, but I forgot my password because I made it so long ago. And it does not have a registered phone number. So I can't log in to that accout too. (I didn't know that I forgot my e-mail password when I signed up for the dropbox.)

I know it's hard to prove that this dropbox account is mine, but I know exactly when I signed up for the drop-box, and I signed up with this device, and it's still logged in. I think it can prove it. (If you give me a way to prove it, I'll do it if I can.)

I want to change the registered email or password. And if it is not possible, I want you to delete this account.

Help me plz :(

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: I entered a wrong email adress and password.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @HomerD, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Can you check out this article here and let me know if any of the steps help you with regaining access to your account?

Also, is one of the connected devices that you have a computer with the desktop app installed and linked with your account?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hi, @Daphne

I already checked out that article. Like I said before, all the steps do not help me with regaining access to my account.

And connected device is not a desktop. It is my smartphone and I am logged in from the web, not from the dropbox application. Because I signed up for dropbox from the web before installing the app. When I tried to log in after installing the app, I couldn't log in because the password was wrong. So, I am still writing on the web with the smartphone I used to sign up.

Ask me again if you have any questions. Thank you for trying to help me.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with that info @HomerD!

Just to clarify, are you still signed into your Dropbox account via the website on your mobile device?

If you are, can you try changing the email address linked with your Dropbox account, to an email you can access, with the steps listed here?

I'm afraid that if you're no longer signed in then the only step left to access the Dropbox account is to regain access to the email account itself so you can reset the Dropbox password.

Keep me posted on your findings!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Of course I’m still signed into my Dropbox account via the website on my mobile device.

But I can't change my email address by the way you told me. Because I should enter a password to change my email address. As I said before, I entered the wrong password when I joined this site because there was no double check of the password.

So I couldn't change my password or email address in any of the ways listed on the homepage, which is why I asked you for help.

I know exactly when I signed up for Dropbox, I signed up using this device that is now asking you for help, and I am still signed in with this device. I hope these things prove that this account is really mine. And I hope you can help me change my email address or password. And if it's not possible, delete the account plz.

Thanks for your help
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that @HomerD!

I'm afraid that in this case, there isn't anything else I can suggest to do through Dropbox. 

The only way to be able to reset your password so you can access the account would be to contact your email service provider so they can assist you with regaining access to your email account.

Also, we wouldn't be able to take any action on your account, including deleting the account as we can't verify your ownership without contacting the email address on your account.

If your account is inactive for 12 months though, then the account will be closed automatically which you can find out more about here.

Sorry that I can't help any further with this, but do let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?