cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got an email for an inactive account of mine but I logged in yesterday. Was it closed after all?

Highlighted

I got an email for an inactive account of mine but I logged in yesterday. Was it closed after all?

New member | Level 2

I did not realize I had two accounts with Dropbox. I received a notice that one account was closing, so I accessed the account last night. Then I received an email this morning that an account was closed. However, I thought that was the account I reactivated. What can be done?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: I got an email for an inactive account of mine but I logged in yesterday. Was it closed after al

Explorer | Level 3

Maybe it was a phishing attempt?

Did it contain a link to login to dropbox to prevent account closure?

If you used it, you might have given hackers your password.

If it was legitimate then do you know what was in that second account? Was it important will you miss it, do you really need it back?

If so, then please paste the non-privacy sensitive parts of the emails you got here. There might be a solution in there.

If you have everything you need in the account you can access, then I would suggest to leave it and not look back.

Now for my own sanity, disregard below as it is off-topic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say I lose my phone while I am traveling.

Luckily I stored my flight ticket in my Dropbox as well.

Thank you, Dropbox

So I find a place where I have internet and a printer. Kind locals moved by empathy, help me get back home.

Then I log in to Dropbox. BOOM! 6digit code is sent to my email and to my now-lost-phone.

Well let me log into my email to get the code.

Well I can't because that has a 2factor authorisation set up and I lost my phone and thus don't have the 2nd factor.

So now thanks to Dropbox's genius' idea of implementing their own 2fa even though I specifically DID NOT enable it, I am locked out of my account.

Thank you, Dropbox

Is there anyway to disable that mandatory 2fa prompt?

Or is there a way to login to my dropbox from a new device in a foreign country when I don't have access to my email or phone?

Seriously, my dropbox has mostly crap and stuff that's not of great concern if it gets hacked.

I don't need Fort Knox security for that crap. I need user friendliness and accessibility.

I have a great password that's very unique to just Dropbox and I would like that to be the end of this login process.

Any solutions?

Highlighted

Re: I got an email for an inactive account of mine but I logged in yesterday. Was it closed after...

Dropboxer

Hey @Allen3, thanks for reaching out to us. 

If you recently used your Dropbox account, but still received an account-closure email, you're right, it's likely that we contacted you about a separate, unused Dropbox. 

Could you check that the Dropbox account you're using is associated with the same email address you received the closure email at, by going to your General tab?

If it's the same email, could you confirm if you've recently taken action in your account, like adding a file, or sharing a folder?

Let me know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: I got an email for an inactive account of mine but I logged in yesterday. Was it closed after al

New member | Level 2

did you try resetting the password?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?