cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got an email that I'm running out of space, but I haven't put anything in Dropbox recently.

Highlighted

I got an email that I'm running out of space, but I haven't put anything in Dropbox recently.

Explorer | Level 3

I don't understand. I got an email  saying I'm running out of  space, and suggests that I upgrade my storage.

I haven't actively put anything in Dropbox since 2014.

I DO have iCloud Storage. Is this part of Dropbox? or does Dropbox utilize iCloud storage, even though I'm not aware of "putting" things into Dropbox, per se?

I need to understand this process. Otherwise, why am I "running out of space" when I'm not conscious of putting anything in there?

Someone help me understand how this works. Is iCloud the same as Dropbox?

Or is it just a ploy to get me to pay more for something?

Please explain this. Thanks.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Running out of space??

New member | Level 2

Good evening,

Have you activated camera uploads in the settings?

Thomas

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

In Dropbox settings? or my Phone settings?

I don't think so, otherwise there would be newer pictures in Dropbox. They are all from 2014 except for one in 2020.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @magster_08!

The camera uploads setting could be through the desktop app or mobile app, to automatically upload photos to your account from your connected devices. You can check out more about this here.

Just to clarify, iCloud and Dropbox are indeed two separate services so they wouldn't be connected in this way to share your files or storage.

If you sign into Dropbox online, can you please check your plan page here and let me know what storage use you're seeing there?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

I have Dropbox Basic.  I'm using 2 GB of 2.25 GB.

I don't share files with anyone, and I put stuff in there in 2014, and just one file I think in 2020, maybe just to see where it goes. It's just not something I need to use.

In this exploration, though, it gave me ideas that COULD be a use for it, not sure. 

Currently, if I take a picture on my phone or iPad, I email it to myself so I can access it on my iMac desk computer. If I put the picture into Dropbox on my small device, would I be able to then access it on my computer, without emailing it to myself?

In that case, I guess I'd have to upgrade, but it's pricey for something I don't otherwise use. Not sure if the convenience of not having to email pictures to myself warrant the cost.

Are the pictures that are in Dropbox now, there forever?

You said Dropbox isn't the same as iCloud, but is it similar in use? I sometimes have trouble finding my older pictures on iCloud after things "went" into the 
"cloud", instead of staying on my computer. Frustrating when looking for older pictures.

Thank you for any clarifications.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @magster_08!

Yes, you could indeed use Dropbox to easily transfer files from one device to another.

If you have the desktop app installed on your computer, it would automatically sync the files to a local Dropbox folder. Otherwise, you can just download the file from the website with the same steps as outlined here.

For the files that are already in your Dropbox account, they will remain there until you remove them.

If you'd like to, you could free up some space in your Dropbox account by downloading some data to a device, and deleting that data from Dropbox. 

Otherwise, I can suggest having a look here to see how you can earn some additional space on your account without upgrading.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?