cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got an email that a file was shared with me and now I'm worried if it's real or not. Can you help?

Highlighted

I got an email that a file was shared with me and now I'm worried if it's real or not. Can you help?

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I received an email saying someone has shared a document with me on dropbox.  The name in the email I recognise, but when I try and download the document, it takes me to a screen that looks professsional, with a picture of all the different email apps, saying to choose the email provider I want to download from.  I entered my email and password, then got a message saying my password might be compromised, so I quickly changed my password, for my email account.  Have I been hacked?

Now I'm worried if this document is real or not.  If it is real, I want to view it, as it says its a solicitors letter.  Can someone review it for me at dropbox?

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: I got an email that a file was shared with me and now I'm worried if it's real or not. Can you h

Dropboxer

Hi @Lindarose; welcome to the Dropbox family and happy Friday!

I'll be happy to look into this for you. 

To do so, could you let me know if the email you received comes from one of our official domains and also send me a screenshot of it (masking any personal info if possible) so I can have a visual too? 

Thanks a bunch Linda! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: I got an email that a file was shared with me and now I'm worried if it's real or not. Can you h

New member | Level 2
Thanks Walter

It came from no-reply@dropbox.com
It looks genuine. I can’t send you a screen shot on a public forum as all the Email details are there. I do think it’s genuine but I can’t open it. Is there a private email address so you can look at this?
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Hi Walter

I’ve just confirmed it is a genuine email being sent to me. I just need help opening it without sharing it with the community. I can’t believe there is no private support available with Dropbox?
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @Lindarose, I just wanted to jump in here and ask if you could send us a screenshot (without any personal info) specifically of the page that the link redirects you to. 

Also, you can have a look at this article which proposes how to protect yourself from phishing attempts. 

Keep us posted, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?