Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I have 3 accounts and I want to know which ones I can connect to access from the same device.

Explorer | Level 4

I'm looking for some help on Dropbox's functionality for switching accounts. This will affect how I move forward to restructure my accounts. I use Dropbox everyday via my laptop and smartphone. I have three Dropbox accounts for three different context associated with my work (two) and personal storage (one). #1 Whether on my laptop or phone, Dropbox seems to limit me to TWO nominated accounts for switching between, yes? #2 If that is the case what is the process I undertake to change which of my accounts are eligble for switching? Sorry if these are rookie questions.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Switching accounts max 2

Super User II
Super User II

You can only link two Dropbox accounts to your comptuer, and only if one of those accounts is a Dropbox Business account and you've linked a personal account to it. Otherwise, the Dropbox app only allows for a single personal account.

If you only have personal accounts (Basic, Plus or Professional) then there is no way to switch back and forth between accounts without unlinking the computer from Dropbox and relinking with another account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You can only link two Dropbox accounts to your comptuer, and only if one of those accounts is a Dropbox Business account and you've linked a personal account to it. Otherwise, the Dropbox app only allows for a single personal account.

If you only have personal accounts (Basic, Plus or Professional) then there is no way to switch back and forth between accounts without unlinking the computer from Dropbox and relinking with another account.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Comprehensively useful answer @Rich. I'm really grateful. Thank you!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Instructions below is a concentrate from Chat-session with Dropbox Mar 20, 2020 - and they work

Click on the little Dropbox icon in your system tray (it should be next to the clock display and battery life)

Click on your little avatar/initials and then click on the Preferences tab (in upper right corner)

Click on the Account tab

Go to 'Personal' and then connect to Personal Dropbox

By signing into your personal account from there, a Dropbox folder will be created in File Explorer, which will also keep your personal files.

Meaning that you will be able to see both accounts in Explorer

You will have two separate Dropbox folders, one for each account. The personal folder will have the word personal in parenthesis, and the business folder will have your team's name in parenthesis. This way you can tell which is which.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks Klaus. Really helpful. I can parse that into Mac pretty easily.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?