cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: logging in between two accounts

I have a problem logging in between my two accounts. Ideas?

doliver22
New member | Level 2

I currently have two free accounts.  When I access Dropbox it automatically logs me in as one of these accounts.  I can see no way to logout so I can log in with another set of credentials.  When I access from the web link it also has my creds stored and logs me into account 1.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

doliver22
New member | Level 2
7 Replies 7

doliver22
New member | Level 2

aledadowns
New member | Level 2

What was the solution? I have the same problem.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @aledadowns - welcome to our Community.

Thanks for reaching out with this question - let me try to help with this now.  Here's an easy way to distinguish if you are logged into the proper account. To begin with you can start by doing this from your desktop application following these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray
  2. Click the gear icon
  3. Click "Preferences"
  4. Access the account tab and check the email associated with the account.

If you'd like to check which account you are logged onto in the website go here.

I hope this information helps and should you have any further questions, do let me know! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

W8Patiently
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the information on how to confirm which account you are logged into. How do you switch accounts in the desktop application?

Walter
Dropboxer

You will need to logout from the first account and then log into your second one @W8Patiently. To do this now: 

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register.

5)Use your other account's login credentials to connect.  

Quick note: When you link a different account now, the app will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will prompt you with two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'. 

Should you need your new Dropbox folder to be in an another location other than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'. If you'd like your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lachie
New member | Level 2

Ok, trying to do the same thing but when I click on the gear thingy there is no preferences option, and when I do the next most logical thing and press the sync button the thing tells me to download the app. Which I have done twice possibly thrice, and as far as I can tell I am in the app.

Getting nowhere and really hating computers at the moment!

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @lachie  - could it be that you're not running the regular desktop app but the S mode (for Windows 10) instead? 

If that's the case, try downloading (and installing) our client from the following page:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

Let me know what you find!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?