cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with my linked devices as each mobile device is counted as double

Highlighted

I have an issue with my linked devices as each mobile device is counted as double

Explorer | Level 3

We have 3 linked devices but it keeps saying each phone is 2 devices so it keeps coming up saying 4 of 3 devices. We've tried unlinking and re linking devices and that doesn't help. I have 2 phones and a laptop and that's it what can we do? Thanks

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Devices

Dropboxer

Hi @cjmcintyre2, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community. 

Since you mention that you all have three devices linked, could you clarify if you keep signing out of the mobile app to log into a different account, and then sign back in with the original?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

HI, so since last september the photos from both phones were no longer uploading to dropbox (this is for my parents so i didn't see it sooner) but is said dropbox is full, so i was going to get the photos on dropbox off for them so there'll be room to upload more photos. that is when it said you have 4 of 3 devices on all devices that i looked into settings..  at first i would have only 1 device, phone, open and that device would show all 3 devices with the 4th device being the phone that was open (so it would show that phone as 2 devices)  and if i closed that phone and opened the other the same thing would happen even after unlinking the duplicates.   on the laptop, the 3rd device, it shows only 3 devices so it is only on the phones where is shows 4 of 3...    so yesterday i removed the photos off of dropbox so there is now room for new photos and we were able to get the one phone to upload to dropbox but the other phone will not because it shows 4 of 3..  does that help ? thanks.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @cjmcintyre2!

When you check the connected devices from the security page, do any of the connected devices show an old date for the last activity? 

If there are any showing an older activity date can you try unlinking it and see if that does the trick?

It's strange though that one device would show a different number of devices connected. Could you also double check for me that each of those 3 devices are signed into Dropbox with the exact same email address? 

You can check out these steps for finding the connected email on each device from here.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thank you so much for taking time to help me solve this issue...

So it does show an accurate date for each device as to when they were last logged into, which is weird since it says i have too many devices..

And we have unlinked each device too thinking that would do the trick..

And yes they all have the same email address.

i could get screen shots if that helps... 

the only other solution i can think of is to make 2 accounts one for each phone but can each phone (different accounts) use the same laptop as the computer to store photos????

thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us with this additional information, @cjmcintyre2.

If you could send us a screenshot (without any personal info) so that we have a better visual understanding of what you're seeing from your end, that would be very helpful. 

In the meantime, you can also use our camera uploads feature by plugging your mobile device on a computer that has the desktop app running and has camera uploads enabled. 

You can find more information about this, here

Keep us posted! 

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

so I was able to get photos of his screen... hope this helps... 

and worse comes to worse i could have him do that...  just would be nice to have it done automatically...2020-07-18 12.32.17.jpg2020-07-18 12.32.36.jpg2020-07-18 12.32.52.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @cjmcintyre2, it looks like there's an old Android device linked which hasn't been accessed since May 3rd 2018, according to your screenshot. 

If you unlink that device, you should be able to connect the current phone to the account.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, yes, we have unlinked that device a couple times and always comes back on that way. which is also weird.. 

thanks. any other ideas?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Could you try unlinking the device from the website again, and let me know if it still returns?

If it does, please could you forward a screen recording showing the device removal and then the old device coming back. Thanks!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?