cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with my storage space. Can you help?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have deleted loads of photos but it does not seem to have freed up a corresponding amount of space?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Storage space

Super User II
Super User II

You'll need to log a ticket with support for further help then. 

www.dropbox.com/support to do so and http://dropbox.zendesk.com to track. 

However, please note I've never ever known the online screen be wrong. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Restart the Dropbox client (or reboot your computer) and allow it to reindex your files.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I've had the same problem for a while now but have only just discovered this forum. Therefore, I have re-booted my computer (iMac) several times since I deleted many files but my freed space has not changed.

In fact I plugged an iPhone in today and was told I didn't have enough space for new photos to be uploaded. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong, in particular how I 'reindex (my) files'.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

How have you deleted the files Mark? A reboot will cause a reindex.

Are they still showing at www.dropbox.com?

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi, thanks for replying.

I deleted files and folders by two finger clicking my track pad and hitting 'delete' on the menu that came up. The folders and files showed up in my 'deleted files'  option for 30 days and then vanished altogether which is fine. But my usage of 4.9GB out of 5.25GB is the same now as it was before I deleted anything.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Sorry, I missed this part of your original reply.

The deleted files and folders are no longer showing at www.dropbox.com.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Are you in any shared folders? 

That could be using up more space. 

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am not sure what you mean by 'in'.

I am certainly not in anyone else's Dropbox via a shared folder. In other words I have never linked to a folder or file in someone else's Dropbox account.

I did share a folder of mine with someone else but removed the link several weeks ago. As such all my folders show a '--' on my home screen under 'Shared with'.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

After you left the share did you delete those files? That could be using up space. Leaving a share doesn't actually remove any data

- - -

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The folder I shared is still in my Dropbox account using up part of the 4.9GB of space. So far as I can remember I'd used 4.9GB of space before I shared the folder and after I shared the folder. 

For the avoidance of doubt, I have never been invited to share anything with another Dropbox user.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?