cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I have been charged for dropbox premium despite never using their services.

I have been charged for dropbox premium despite never using their services.

HarryBagg
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

After reading the title you're probably thinking "how is this even possible?", to be honest I'm not sure either. After signing up for dropbox to view some files back in November I noticed while looking at my bank statement in April that I had been charged for premium services despite never using it. Evidently a mistake, which happens I get it. 

I contacted Dropbox support last night and spoke with someone named Erika who kindly gave me 1/5 months refund despite the terms and conditions stating there are no refunds. They said I couldn't get the remaining 4 months and would have to contact my bank in order to solve this. Naturally I was concerned as the terms and conditions stated there were no refunds yet Erika was able to give me a 1 month refund, which is already breaking the terms even though and I quote they "Erika: As I will need to align with the Terms of Service as well, found on this page: https://www.dropbox.com/terms".

I then kept pushing the idea that if you've already changed the terms then why can't you do it further as I literally haven't used dropbox's services at all. They said only my bank could reverse the charges. However, I spoke to my bank and they said it was literally impossible. Only dropbox can do this. If you've refunded one month, and you've already broken the terms of service, then I'd like a full refund as I haven't used not only the premium services but the basic one as well. 

I will post the full chat log below. I understand sometimes companies can't break the terms and conditions of these subscriptions, however they clearly already have. Usually a company like Netflix/Amazon are completely reasonable when it comes to being charged for a product they don't use and usually refund. 

I've tried to contact dropbox again since my chat with Erika, however I keep getting put through to an automated chat service, and also struggle to find an email which is why I'm posting in this thread. 

Any dropbox employees able to get directly in contact with me/am I able to speak with Erika who originally conducted this and get the refund that I was told I could get. Below is the chat log:

Harrybagg, Apr 7, 2021, 12:03 PM PDT:

Chat transcript:
( 18:32:29 ) Visitor: Hi there, I've recently just looked at my bank statement and noticed £19.99 coming out of my account since November of each month despite not wanting the dropbox subscription service or purchasing it. You can clearly see that I have not been using dropbox at all during this time. That's 5 months being charged 19.99, the only reason I have noticed is because of my card expiring. I would like a full refund as I haven't been using any of dropbox services during this time.
( 18:33:40 ) Erika: Hi Harry, and thank for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Erika, and I am happy to assist you with the refund request that you have, so we can resolve it right away.
( 18:34:12 ) Visitor: Thank you so much
( 18:34:26 ) Erika: My pleasure!
( 18:34:42 ) Erika: I will be able to exceptionally provide a refund for the latest charge linked to your account, Harry!
( 18:35:51 ) Visitor: No I want the charges for all 5 months refunded please which is 99.95. I haven;t used the services during this time.
( 18:36:19 ) Erika: I completely understand, Harry, and rest assured that I am on your side on this one!
( 18:36:36 ) Visitor: Thank you so can I get this refund please? I will provide my new card details
( 18:36:44 ) Erika: As I will need to align with the Terms of Service as well, found on this page:
https://www.dropbox.com/terms
( 18:36:55 ) Erika: I am happy to provide an exceptional refund for the latest charge
( 18:37:09 ) Erika: however, for the remaining charges, I will need to re-direct you to the bank
( 18:37:32 ) Visitor: Why you can clearly see there's been no activity on the account. I was completley unaware I was being charged.
( 18:37:51 ) Visitor: What will I have to do with the bank
( 18:38:36 ) Erika: I completely understand!
( 18:38:45 ) Visitor: The terms say no refunds and you've already offered me one month out the 5 so why not offer me all the months I'm confused?
( 18:38:51 ) Erika: The bank can help you reverse the remaining charges for the other 4 months
( 18:38:58 ) Visitor: Considering I've never used the product
( 18:39:17 ) Erika: from my end, I am more than happy to provide an exceptional refund for the latest charge, as you were not using the service.
( 18:40:46 ) Visitor: But you're not happy to refund for the full 5 months despite no activity? I understand you're doing something exceptional but in the terms it states there isn't any refunds and yet you're happy to offer one month out of the five. Would it not be possible due to the circumstance mentioned to change the refund to 5 months, seeming as the terms and conditions have already been changed?
( 18:41:11 ) Erika: If there was anyway for me to refund the remaining charges, I would have absolutely done so! Trust me on this one!
( 18:41:47 ) Erika: I am trying to make amends this, and overlook the terms of service, when offering a refund for the latest charge
( 18:42:59 ) Erika: And happily provide this refund for you
( 18:43:59 ) Visitor: So what do I need to for the remaining charges
( 18:44:16 ) Visitor: I appreciate that but you must understand if the terms have already been overlooked they can be overlooked again.
( 18:45:24 ) Erika: For the remaining charges, you will need to contact your bank, since they have more tools to reverse these charges!
( 18:46:41 ) Visitor: And say what
( 18:46:57 ) Visitor: You will need my new card as the old one has expired
( 18:47:11 ) Erika: No worries, the bank has a track of your previous card's information
( 18:47:38 ) Erika: you will let them know that these charges were taken without you noticing it, and you would like to reverse those payments.
( 18:50:05 ) Erika: Just checking, are you still connected?
( 18:52:44 ) Visitor: im eating but yes
( 18:53:12 ) Erika: Please let me know if we will proceed with refunding the latest charge
( 18:56:17 ) Erika: If our chat remains idle, it may time out. If that happens, don’t worry. I’ll send you a follow-up email from where we can continue this troubleshooting
( 18:59:32 ) Erika: Unfortunately our chat will close automatically due to inactivity. However, you will receive a follow-up email with a ticket number for your reference, along with a transcript of our chat. Replying to that email will bring you directly in contact with me if you ever need any further assistance!  We would love to hear how easy it was for you to receive the help you needed, via the following one-click rating, after I close the chat. Have a lovely day ahead!

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

It seems to me that Erika has been beyond fair - firstly for talking to you on chat as thats not supposed to happen (its for Business users only) and for doing a gesture of goodwill. She could have just said no to the refunds. I

I personally think thats a more than reasonable result. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

HarryBagg
New member | Level 2

Whilst I've acknowledged it's a nice gesture the reasonable result would to be not charged for any months seeming as there's no activity on the account. Also I think it's a little bit annoying to be told to speak to the bank and then the bank retorting saying that Dropbox can authorise a full refund. I'm just doing what I'm told at this point. 

Mark
Super User II

Personally I'd say you actually dont have grounds for a refund unless your card has been stolen or cloned there is no way for Dropbox to charge you. 

You've said yourself the terms and conditions state no refunds - these are what you agreed to when signing up. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

HarryBagg
New member | Level 2

I appreciate your opinion but it can go both ways. I'd say I do have grounds for a full refund if I have already been offered a month refund despite the terms saying otherwise. As said I appreciate the gesture, but if you can do one month you can do them all, if not don't do any months and break terms of service. Additionally and my main point being that I haven't actually used any of the services that I've paid for over the past 5 months. I understand this could be on my end but ultimately, is it unreasonable to want a refund on a product you haven't used in any capacity? 

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?