cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What projects do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I have been invited but now I don't have space on my account. What happened?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been invited to join the dropbox of my local photo club.  Now I am being told by Dropbox that I don't have enough storage and have to upgrade my account.  These are not my files they belong to the club, which must already pay for the storage.  Does every member of the club have to pay for the same storage?????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: File storage

Super User
Super User

Hello @MaggieD, if you join a shared folder, it would take up your storage quota. If you don't need files to have edit permission, and sync with your Dropbox is not necessary, you may ask your club to share with you a view-only shared link https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/view-only-access When shared via link, you can view the files on the web, you can download them to your device, or add to your Dropbox if you like, but the files won't sync with your Dropbox account, you can't edit the files. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Hello @MaggieD, if you join a shared folder, it would take up your storage quota. If you don't need files to have edit permission, and sync with your Dropbox is not necessary, you may ask your club to share with you a view-only shared link https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/view-only-access When shared via link, you can view the files on the web, you can download them to your device, or add to your Dropbox if you like, but the files won't sync with your Dropbox account, you can't edit the files. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you so much!  I think is the perfect outcome for this issue.  Appreciate your very prompt response.  You have taken a load off my mind.

Kind regards

MD

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?