cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have two questions about my devices on my account

Highlighted

I have two questions about my devices on my account

Explorer | Level 4

TWO QUESTIONS: (1) Should (may, shall) I delete old, unused devices? (2) How can you and I cooperate to ensure that your system quits misinterpreting my logins as new devices?

My "Personal Account" description on your website says I have six devices linked, but only the top two show any activity more recent than four years ago. #1, the top one (which I'm currently using) bears the name "Richards-Mac-Book-Pro", which would seem to have been assigned by somebody's default; the bottom one (#6) bears the real device-name of this (my main) computer. The other four are iPhone names with different "locations", #4 and #5 belonging to iPhones I no longer use.

I have and use and want only #1 and #2. The others seem to correspond to messages I've received from you from time to time to the effect that I've signed in on a new device, "Is that you?" To which I can only respond yes, 'tis I, but you don't let me inform you that it's NOT a new device.

If I can safely hit the "X" on ##3-6 and remove the spurious devices from the list, I'll do so: they don't (or no longer) really exist. But I wouldn't want to disconnect inadvertently the real, current devices #1 and #2, whose names resemble those on the fossils: *** MAY (SHALL) I? ***

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Nonexistent "devices"***** TWO QUESTIONS: (1) Should (may, shall) I delete old, unused

Super User II

1) You can remove any linked devices you want from your account. In fact, you should routinely review the devices linked to your account and remove any that are no longer in use.

2) If you're referring to logins on the Dropbox website, unless you check the Remember Me option when signing in, you will always receive a notification that you've signed in from an unknown device. You can disable those notifications in your account settings, but then you wouldn't receive notifications for actual unauthorized logins as well, so not that's recommended.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Nonexistent "devices"***** TWO QUESTIONS: (1) Should (may, shall) I delete old, unused

Super User II

1) You can remove any linked devices you want from your account. In fact, you should routinely review the devices linked to your account and remove any that are no longer in use.

2) If you're referring to logins on the Dropbox website, unless you check the Remember Me option when signing in, you will always receive a notification that you've signed in from an unknown device. You can disable those notifications in your account settings, but then you wouldn't receive notifications for actual unauthorized logins as well, so not that's recommended.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, Rich, for a relevant, concise, and very prompt (even in the dark of the night) response. Now I'll not fear to get rid of the fossils. Wish many, many other enterprises would learn from Dropbox and its "community" about customer support, in this day when the standard seems to be cheapened, incompetently recorded, and unwilling to pay attention to customers' questions.

I do still find it illogical that Dropbox insists on interpreting a login from a mobile device in a "new" place as a "new" device. But at least I'll now know to check "remember me," even though in similar environments doing so tends to confuse my (also cherished) Dashlane.

Highlighted

Super User II

@CoMMensa wrote:

I do still find it illogical that Dropbox insists on interpreting a login from a mobile device in a "new" place as a "new" device.

That's for any login through a web browser, when it's not set to remember you. The Dropbox mobile app, when linked to your account, is just a single device, regardless of location.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Hi 

I want to set up Dropbox on a new phone and have been asked to remove some of the devices and leave only 3. If I do so, will I lose the GB? I currently have 10,5 GB.

I would appreciate your help on this as I could not find the answer in the support section.

Thank you and regards,
Iza

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @zee-zoo; thanks for joining our Community and sorry for the late response./ 

To keep things short, no, unlinking devices from your account won't affect your quota.

Let us know if you have any more questions and have a lovely week ahea, Iza.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?