Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I just purchased and downloaded dropbox pro but my originasl basic account still opens and does not have enough storage, how can I download the dropbox pro and have an icon for it on my desktop???

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I just purchased and downloaded dropbox pro but my originasl basic account still opens and does not have enough storage, how can I download the dropbox pro and have an icon for it on my desktop???

Super User II
Super User II

When you subscribed to Pro, did you use the same email address as your Basic account? If not, then you likely created a new account in the process and now have two separate accounts. You'll need to unlink one account and relink the new account.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: I just purchased and downloaded dropbox pro but my originasl basic account still opens and does not have enough storage, how can I download the dropbox pro and have an icon for it on my desktop???

Super User II
Super User II

When you subscribed to Pro, did you use the same email address as your Basic account? If not, then you likely created a new account in the process and now have two separate accounts. You'll need to unlink one account and relink the new account.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

yes same email, when I open icon on desktop defaults to old basic dropbox, I want to open an icon that has my new account in it without having to go online through dropbox.com in a search

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

If it's the same email, then you upgraded your existing account, and you don't have a separate Basic and Pro account. Are you sure it's not your local hard drive that's out of space, and not your Dropbox account?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Yes Computer is fine,I was notified by dropbox that I exceeded the space limit so I upgraded I just want to know if there is a separate dropboxpro format or if the basic is just upgraded and looks the same

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

You have one account that gets upgraded to Pro. Basic and Pro look and operate the same, other than the amount of space you have and some other minor features specific to Pro.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue; I upgrade to the Pro version, but I keep on receiving messages that there's not enough storage available. How can I know that the upgrade has been done successfully

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Look at your Account page. It will show you your account type and usage. If it's showing that you have plenty of space and you're still getting a message about not enough storage, it's likely your local hard drive that is out of space.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

If I understand correct, there's no point in have extra storage capacity if you do not have similar storage capacity on your harddrive? 

I don't know enough about how Dropbox is working, but - if Dropbox copies all the dropbox data on my harddrive, where can I find that data?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

if Dropbox copies all the dropbox data on my harddrive, where can I find that data?

In the Dropbox folder that was created when you installed it.

Remember, Dropbox is not a cloud-base storage system. It is a file sync utility. The Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other. Anything you put in the folder is stored on your computer and synced to the Dropbox server. Your files exist in both places.

If you want to store folder in Dropbox without them taking up space on your computer, use Selective Sync.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?