cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just received an email referencing my old password. Was there a data breach?

Highlighted

I just received an email referencing my old password. Was there a data breach?

New member | Level 2

I just received a extortion email which referenced my previous dropbox password. Has DropBox had a data breach???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I just received an email referencing my old password. Was there a data breach?

New member | Level 2

It was probably that old of a password, never used anywhere else, and changed a while back anyway.  But that breach is probably where it got out, thanks for the info.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: I just received an email referencing my old password. Was there a data breach?

Helpful | Level 5
Dropbox had a data breach back in 2012. How old was the password in question? Did you possibly use the same password on another site?
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

It was probably that old of a password, never used anywhere else, and changed a while back anyway.  But that breach is probably where it got out, thanks for the info.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wp4 New member | Level 2
    grlla Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?