cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost my business account because of Covid... how long will DropBox keep my files before deleting?

I lost my business account because of Covid... how long will DropBox keep my files before deleting?

noamkos
Explorer | Level 3
Dear DropBox,

I used to have a business account but I had to stop paying for it because I lost all my income due to COVID... and I was trying to reach DropBox to ask how long you'd keep my stuff on the account before deleting it.

I have been paying for DropBox for many years and have all my professional work there... and it would be a disaster for my career if all my work was lost because I couldn't continue paying for the subscription because of this pandemic

Do you have any idea how long you'll keep the files?

If you're going to delete it, I'd want to know so that I can find a friend who can help me download them before anything bad happens.

Thank you so much for your help
Love,
Noam
1 Reply 1

Re: I lost my business account because of Covid... how long will DropBox keep my files before deleti

Pikamander2
Super User

Here's Dropbox's data retention policy, although the information there seems to be about recovering your intentionally deleted files. On a business plan, you can do that for 180 days.

This answer by Rich states that Dropbox will keep your files indefinitely after you unsubscribe and that you just won't be able to add new ones or sync changes to old ones.

Are you currently able to access your files? If so, I would strongly recommend downloading them so that you have a copy on hand. It's generally best to keep your files in several secure locations just as a precaution.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Pikamander2 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?