cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm out of space and don't have any friends. Can I buy one more account?

I'm out of space and don't have any friends. Can I buy one more account?

Lorenzo N.1
New member | Level 1

I need about 1.5TB of space, as I use DB to back up my computer. 

I don't have any more friends to invite.

I don't want FIVE accounts (business).

I'm happy to pay for two accounts if that's what I need to do. Can I put two on one computer? If so, what does that workflow look like when using DB on my computer?

Are there any other options?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I'm out of space and don't have any friends. Can I buy one more account?

Rich
Super User II

You can certainly subscribe to a second account, but there's no way to merge the space of the two. As for running multiple accounts on one computer, see here:

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II

You can certainly subscribe to a second account, but there's no way to merge the space of the two. As for running multiple accounts on one computer, see here:

View solution in original post

Lorenzo N.1
New member | Level 1

Rich, 

It sounds like it's saying the only way to personally have two accounts is to actually log out of my computer and then log back in as a different user. (If so, that's too much for me.)  Is there a way I can have two DB accounts running on the same Mac user, where I sign in/out of DB in the top-bar interface and have them just update sync when I'm signed in to each respectively?

Alexis G.1
Super User

With the same user you cannot have 2 DB accounts. You cannot mix the content either. Only business DB users can have one business and one personal dropbox accounts in a single pc / single account.

I'm curious, how you reach 1.5TB in your Dropbox?

Please don't miss understand me, I have about 12 TB of photos, videos,software and docs in HDD and NAS devices, but only 170Gb in Dropbox

Lorenzo N.1
New member | Level 1

~70%  I have a 'project' folder that I like to keep safe in the cloud with aprox. the last year's worth of projects, because my client often revisits previous projects for permutations. (animation work).

~30%  Client project folders that I'm shared into the assets as part of a team.

~50% My personal files I'd like sync'd. 

As you can see, I'm maxed for work and still have things I'd like to sync! I think the simplest solution may be to simply hire another vendor (Cubbie, Hitail, etc.)  to add to the mix. The only frustration there is that they have their own ins and outs of how files work. If I keep it to another drive, I may be ok.

Alexis G.1
Super User

I tested lot of cloud sync apps. I prefer Dropbox 100%.

If I was you, I will do the folllowing:

Purchase 2 Dropbox Pro subscriptions.

Use account 1 to save your personal stuff and current projects

Use account 2 to save your old projects.

You can create shortcuts so you can save in both dropbox accounts.

Please take into consideration in order to sync dropbox2 content, you need to login with your secondary account. You don't need to switch accounts in order to save files.

I don't know if I explain well?.

And remember to backup your dropbox content from time to time in HDD, Bluray or NAS.

Lorenzo N.1
New member | Level 1

Thanks, Alexis. Yeah, that's what I'd like to do. 

So, I'm on a Mac. Are you? 

I'm a little confused, but let me restate and see if I understand you correctly:

-- Buy a second DB account. This will only sync when I (user1) log out of my Mac and log back in as the second user (user2).

-- However, while I'm logged into my Mac as user1, I can access the DB account for user2 by putting files in Users/user2/Dropbox (provided that I've set up Mac user2 to allow read/write)

Is that correct?

Alexis G.1
Super User

Dear Logan Lux:

I don't have a MAC but I believe this works in MAC similar to PC. I hope one superuser confirm this.

You are correct!

- when you login with user2 in your mac, the second dropbox account will sync with the cloud. new files in Dropbox2 folder will upload to the cloud.

- when you are working as user1 in your MAC, you can save or edit docs in Dropbox folder 1 and this will be synched in realtime with dropbox. You can save or edit files in Dropbox folder 2, but this new data in Dropbox2 folder will sync with your 2nd dropbox folder ONLY when you log on with your user 2 in your mac.

According to my expertise with the product, when you login with an user in Windows/MAC, dropbox check cloud content and folder content. After the compare, he update cloud or local folder, as required.

You can test it by creating a 2nd account (free) in Dropbox and making the 2nd user / folder in your MAC.

Please don't hesitate to feedback as necessary. 

Lorenzo N.1
New member | Level 1

Thank you!  I hadn't thought of trying it with the free account.

Still, though, it seems crazy that I'm trying to give them more money and they're making it hard for me!  Don't they know that lots of people now have 4TB drives? Our digital lives are getting bigger!

Alexis G.1
Super User

Yes. Create a free 2GB account with a secondary email and test it.

I understand you. I know there is 3, 4 and even 6TB drives but Dropbox is not designed as a backup solution, it's a sync tool and normally 1TB is more than enough.

I told you, I have 12TB of data, but less than 200GB in dropbox.

I have lot of tech friends with even more data (24TB or more) and have just 20 - 30 GB in Dropbox.

Perhaps in the future we will have additional space. 2 or 3 years ago Dropbox upgraded the Pro version from 100GB to 1 Terabyte!

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Alexis G.1 Super User
    Lorenzo N.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?