cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm told I'm out of space but have nothing in dropbox - i've cleared my cache

I'm told I'm out of space but have nothing in dropbox - i've cleared my cache

Tamara B.3
New member | Level 1

I know you all think this is a ridiculous question but I truly need your help. I've deleted all of my photos from camera upload and photos and I've cleared them all from my mac's cache and I've waited 6 days. But still it says I'm out of space. One person has shared their wedding photos with me - a ton of them - but to my knowledge, I have no control over those files. Help please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I'm told I'm out of space but have nothing in dropbox - i've cleared my cache

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Shared folders count in full against all accounts that have access to them, so in your case its the wedding photos that have sent you over your quota.

The only way to stop it is to remove some of those files from the shared folder, or remove yourself from the share - www.dropbox.com/share

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: I'm told I'm out of space but have nothing in dropbox - i've cleared my cache

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Shared folders count in full against all accounts that have access to them, so in your case its the wedding photos that have sent you over your quota.

The only way to stop it is to remove some of those files from the shared folder, or remove yourself from the share - www.dropbox.com/share

View solution in original post

Darla W.
New member | Level 1

Hello Richard,

I did remove my access to some folders and when I view my usage under my account, it shows "0 bytes of 2GB used" now, but the only choices I'm given when trying to view new invitations to share folders is "Decline" or "Upgrade" and there is no one to call. Seems a little cyber-scammish to me.

Darla W.
New member | Level 1

I wrote to my client to explain why I was held up (pun intended) and she said the same thing had happened to her. That whole "wait 6 days" thing is another clear sign that this is hinky. Everybody knows that in the business world, nobody can wait six days. I'm totally calling shenanigans.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Even if you have nothing in your Dropbox, if the shared folder is larger than your free space, you cant accept it - you have to have enough available space in your account to accept the shared folder.

Nothing hinky, no shenanigans, no scam - its working logically and as intended. No need to wait 6 days, you are misunderstanding the other users problem, its got nothing to do with this issue.

Mark
Super User II

I wrote to my client to explain why I was held up

If you are a supplier of a client then surely they would expect you to have working functionality to do the task you are charging them for? If a supplier I used wrote back and said they couldn't do a task because they were using a free service (and not willing to pay) I'd be looking at changing supplier as it comes across, as a bare minimum, as unprofessional.

An explanation from me is I've just changed accountancy firms and they suggested I send them everything via shared folders on here, when I agreed their first comment was 'we are only on the free version, but, dont panic, if needed we will upgrade'. Spot on. I'm paying them a LOT for the services so if they offer me Dropbox as a way of collaborating I dont expect to be inconvenienced as they are too cheap and unprofessional to not pay for the services used. Same goes for the Sage software and HMRC links etc.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Darla W. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?