Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I moved to Switzerland from the States in 2014. Dropbox did the last sync in 2015. HELP!!!

QuestForQuality New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have decided to activate dropbox again. I have had 2 new iphones since the last photo sync, and I finally bought a new MAC with more hard drive space. (My old one, I bought in 2008, so oooooold).

Anyway, I need to put in a new credit card. Can I do that? That is my first question. Does Dropbox accept a MasterCard from Switzerland? Or do I need to open up a bank account back in the states with my Mom? Security things have changed so much that I just dont know anymore. I have had all sorts of problems with my apple ID. Just recently I was told that I have to cancel and erase all Apps that I bought in the American iTunes store, and start all over again new with a Swiss Apple ID. That just makes my head spin!! What will happen to all of the apps I bought back home?? I don`t want to lose them, along with all of the info and progress for the last 10 years -- YIKES!!!

Can anyone help me? I pay $99 per year for Dropbox, so it would be really nice if it would work???

Thanks so much for your time in reading about my ordeal. I look forward to ANY Info that could get me started in the correct direction with dropbox again. It is my only external place for keeping all of my backups. (Got an external Harddrive yesterday, so, pics from 2015-2018 are now backed up that way, too. Still, I find Dropbox to be a good thing.

Sincerely, QuestForQuality

2 Replies 2

Re: I moved to Switzerland from the States in 2014. Dropbox did the last sync in 2015. HELP!!!

Super User
Super User

Hello @QuestForQuality, A mastercard issued in Switzerland should certainly work. I understand that you are currently paying using a USA credit card. So, one issue is that your billing address has changed, also the currency. You may cancel your current subscription, you will be downgraded to Basic account at the end of your subscription period. Note that once you are in Basic/Free user plan, you won't be able to add/sync files if you are over the storage quota limit. But the good thing is that Dropbox won't delete any of your files. Once you are on the Basic plan, you can re-subscribe to your paid Plus plan from the Dropbox web with your new credit card/currency/billing address. 

Regarding your AppleID, you should be able to change country/region. You do not need to cancel/delete your USA one and create a new Swiss one. If you are on the iTunes app in your Mac, go to the Account menu > View My Account... There you will find the option to change country/region. Note that you won't be able to change the country if you have iTunes strore credit balance. You need to spend all the store credit balance prior to changing store country. In case you have very little strore credit or having another issue, you should contact Apple support to help on this. 

Re: I moved to Switzerland from the States in 2014. Dropbox did the last sync in 2015. HELP!!!

QuestForQuality New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Thank you. This helped tremendously!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?