cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help freeing up space in my Dropbox account

I need help freeing up space in my Dropbox account

Steven E.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had a notice that I was running out of space - So I deleted a bunch of files in my Dropbox - But it seems I still have the same amount of space being used - Is there some "compact" thing I should be doing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MT2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just an update - problem solved.  I removed most of the folders in my DB to my desktop & the % finally went down.  I found that there were a few .dmg & backup files that I hadn't deleted/ missed that were fairly large in size.  Mea culpa!  I've backed those up & will start using my DB again. 

Also, I had sent an email to DB Support, and did hear back Nov. 17th with full, detailed instructions. I'd found them in the Help Centre & had followed them to try to fix my problem.  I paste them here for those having this problem:

• Delete files as you normally would on computers, phones, and tablets, and they'll be deleted from the Dropbox website, too. You can also delete files from the Dropbox website, and they'll be removed from all the computers, phones, and tablets attached to your Dropbox account. Deleted files will not count against your account's overall storage quota.
  • If you want to restore any deleted files, keep in mind that Dropbox saves a history of all deleted and earlier versions of files for 30 days for all Dropbox accounts. If you purchase the Extended Version History add-on for your account, you can revert to a previous file version or recover a deleted file at any time within a year of an edit or deletion made after your purchase.
  • On Mac, Removing a file from your Dropbox is as simple as dragging and dropping it somewhere out of your Dropbox folder. If you'd like to delete it, drag the file or folder to your Mac's Trash.
  • Delete a file using the Dropbox website
  • Sign in to the Dropbox website
  • Click on the empty space to the right of the file's name to select it. (Clicking on the file name or icon will open the file as a preview)
  • Press Delete from the action bar across the top of the file browser
  • Permanently delete files
  • Note: Permanently deleting a file means that you will not be able to recover it.
  • Only the owner of a shared folder, or the original uploader of the file, can permanently delete a file.
  • To permanently delete files from the Dropbox website:
  • If you haven't already, delete the files you want to permanently delete using the steps above.
  • From the file browser, click the trash can icon to show deleted files.
  • The show deleted files and permanently delete buttons
  • Click the trash can icon to show deleted files that can permanently deleted
  • Any files that appear in gray were previously deleted and can still be either undeleted or permanently deleted.
  • Once you find the file or folder you’d like to permanently delete, select the file and click Permanently delete from the action bar at the top of the file browser.
  • If your problems still persists please provide me with a screenshot of the concern and I’d be happy to look into this further for you.
  • For instructions on your how to take a screenshot, 
  • https://www.dropbox.com/help/1964
  • Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your concern, and choosing Dropbox!

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

You may have had "promotional" space which has now expired leaving you with the files but way over quota!

Steven E.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks, but note that my email notice said my box was "almost full" - right now its at 2.4 gb of 2.5 ... and as mentioned, I deleted more than 100 files, and saw no reduction in space being used

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Smaller files are synced first, so the last , large file may not fit.
see https://www.dropbox.com/account#personal
for more info about your personal "space".

Divas I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to know if deleting files will free up space in my dropbox?  I've deleted several fils and see no change!!

Tom D.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How do I permanently delete a file?

Jeff S.52
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Okay, I too want to know how to permanently delete files to free up space. My next step is to dump dropbox & go with another services! 

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

check here after you have given DB time to sync the deletes;

https://www.dropbox.com/account#personal

MT2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Posted this in another thread & copying here.

• I have the same problem.
  • Dropbox seems to keep deleted files online & restorable, even when you delete them. Instructions note to permanently delete but that doesn't help either.
  • To permanently delete files - you go online in your account, click on a folder to open them, then on the upper right toolbar on the website, select & click "Show deleted files". You can then "permanently delete" the files.
  • Still says the same amount of MB used, "out of space - you need to upgrade", and perpetual syncing.
  • Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Files that are in your Trash/Deleted Items do not take up space in your account. Deleting them permanently will have no affect on your available space.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MT2000 New member | Level 2
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?