cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I received an email that said "We are DE-activating your Email!"

I received an email that said "We are DE-activating your Email!"

eichnerm
Explorer | Level 4

I received the email below.  I am not sure what it means, or if it's a phishing scam.  I don't know who [Removed as per Community Guidelines] is, and I never gave any access to this person.

I would appreciate your help in determining if this was a legimate or a fraudlent email. I am not sure what to do.

Please note that I have sent a request to community support before on this subject, but I must have done something wrong because I can't find my previous support requests.

Thanks

A graphic that says DropboxTransfer

EMAIL. ADMIN sent you mail.notification.html

" We are DE-activating your Email!

A request was sent to shut down your e-mail and this request will be processed shortly.

If this request was made accidentally and you have no knowledge of it download this file now to verify and secure your account.

Dropbox in partnership with Email Admin (c) 2021"

You can download these files now or until 2/2/2021.
Questions? Ask EMAIL. [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

4 Replies 4

Re: I received an email that said "We are DE-activating your Email!"

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @eichnerm, thanks for messaging the Community!

It looks like that email is not an official one from Dropbox, and could be for phishing purposes.

Please could you forward the entire email as is to abuse@dropbox.com for the team there to investigate.

In the meantime, please let me know if you replied to that email, or opened any attachments in the email itself. Thanks!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

eichnerm
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for getting back to me.  I really appreciate it as I try to be very cautious when it comes to fraudlent activity on the web.

I sent a copy of the email to the email address that you suggested along with a few questions.  I did not click on any of the links and I did not respond to the email addresss.  I am curious about one thing which I did ask the people at the abuse email address you sent me.  When I use the dropbox web interface and I enter the word email into the search bar this persons email address comes up. I attached a screen shot of what happens. Can you explain why I would see this if it's not an email address from a real Dropbox admin?

Thanks

DropBox.jpg

Jay
Dropboxer
It's possible that they shared a file to your account, could you see if it's visible here and then remove it from your account?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

eichnerm
Explorer | Level 4

Again, thank you for your help. What's odd is that I don't have any shared files. I did have a few shared links, but each of those links say that I am the only one with access to the files those links point to.  These files are all a few years old.  I am not even sure why I marked these files to be shared. It was such a long time ago.

Thanks again.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?