cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've already adjust my Selective Sync settings & I'm still having a hard disk space issue. Why?

Highlighted

I've already adjust my Selective Sync settings & I'm still having a hard disk space issue. Why?

New member | Level 2

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with dropbox taking up space on my hard drive. I've watched a couple of you tube videos but the option that they all show in their videos - of making chnages via the account option isn't available to me. This is what I see when I try to manage my account (see screenshot below). I've gone to the snyc option and unsynced every folder but still my disk is filling up with dropbox data.

Anyone got any ideas? What's going wrong? Thank youHarDriveSpaceissue.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Hard drive space issue

Dropboxer
Hey @domhorner, please refrain from including personal information in your posts. I slightly modified your photo according to our Community Guidelines (which you can review at your convenience) & I’m here to follow-up a bit more closely on the issue you’ve described us. 

Now, the screenshot you’ve shared in your post has been really helpful Dom. From what I gather from your description, it’s my understanding that you’ve now adjusted your Selective Sync settings on your Sync tab  thus removing some content you’ve stored locally. This makes me think that the files filling up your hard disk aren’t placed in your Dropbox syncing folder; if it’s not too much trouble for you, could you check if that’s a non-syncing Dropbox folder that may have triggered this? Kindly note that if you’ve unlinked & relinked a different account on your desktop, there could’ve been a copy left behind. Could this apply in what you’re experiencing? 

Last but not least, it would be worth noting that your Account tab in Dropbox should be the most reliable point of reference when it comes to your storage usage in Dropbox, whereas you should be able to see your free hard disk space under the relevant drive on your pc. That said, I’d appreciate it if you could elaborate on why you’re thinking that Dropbox is taking up space locally, so as to further advise.

Please do let me know of your findings here & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Have a wonderful rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Delete the backup app(dropbox sync) and delete the folders which are safely backed up to the cloud, re install dropbox and select the folders u want to keep in sync with the cloud, will save you space on hard drive .

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey @domhorner, please refrain from including personal information in your posts. I slightly modified your photo according to our Community Guidelines (which you can review at your convenience) & I’m here to follow-up a bit more closely on the issue you’ve described us. 

Now, the screenshot you’ve shared in your post has been really helpful Dom. From what I gather from your description, it’s my understanding that you’ve now adjusted your Selective Sync settings on your Sync tab  thus removing some content you’ve stored locally. This makes me think that the files filling up your hard disk aren’t placed in your Dropbox syncing folder; if it’s not too much trouble for you, could you check if that’s a non-syncing Dropbox folder that may have triggered this? Kindly note that if you’ve unlinked & relinked a different account on your desktop, there could’ve been a copy left behind. Could this apply in what you’re experiencing? 

Last but not least, it would be worth noting that your Account tab in Dropbox should be the most reliable point of reference when it comes to your storage usage in Dropbox, whereas you should be able to see your free hard disk space under the relevant drive on your pc. That said, I’d appreciate it if you could elaborate on why you’re thinking that Dropbox is taking up space locally, so as to further advise.

Please do let me know of your findings here & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Have a wonderful rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?