cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've bought a 1 TB account but someone I share a folder with said he needs to do that to?

I've bought a 1 TB account but someone I share a folder with said he needs to do that to?

JS11
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there, I've upped my account so I've got 1 TB and i've only uses 2.7 GBs. One of the guys who I've given access to the folder got an email saying his dropbox was almost full and that he should upgrade to the 1TB.    I'm confused as I've paid for the larger dropbox and there's tons of room. thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I've bought a 1 TB account but someone I share a folder with said he needs to do that to?

Rich
Super User II

@JS11 wrote:

Yes he uses it the same as I do.  I guess the only way is if he went online and logged into the system, would that work?  Thanks so much!

No, it wouldn't. If he needs edit access to the folder, then he needs to have enough available space in his own account to hold the shared folder. If he doesn't have the space, he needs to upgrade.

As mentioned, the only way to access the folder without needing space in his account would be a view-only share link, which provides view and download access. He wouldn't be able to upload files back to the folder.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: I've bought a 1 TB account but someone I share a folder with said he needs to do that to?

Mark
Super User II
YOU have 1TB of space.
HE does not I'm afraid.

Your space increase does not benefit him at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/storage-space

Does the other person need full read/write access?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

tomibear
New member | Level 2

If you share a 'view only' folder with the other person is the only way they can benefit of your 1TB space.

JS11
Explorer | Level 3

Yes he uses it the same as I do.  I guess the only way is if he went online and logged into the system, would that work?  Thanks so much!

Rich
Super User II

@JS11 wrote:

No, it wouldn't. If he needs edit access to the folder, then he needs to have enough available space in his own account to hold the shared folder. If he doesn't have the space, he needs to upgrade.

As mentioned, the only way to access the folder without needing space in his account would be a view-only share link, which provides view and download access. He wouldn't be able to upload files back to the folder.

View solution in original post

JS11
Explorer | Level 3

Okay thanks so much for the advice and help!

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JS11 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    tomibear New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?