cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've deleted files in my account, but it still says it's full?

I've deleted files in my account, but it still says it's full?

Shawn T.1
New member | Level 1

I got a notification that my dropbox is full, so I deleted some fairly large videos that I don't need any longer, but dropbox is still saying my storage is full.   Deleting the videos took me from 2.1 of used space to 2.1 of used space.  Say wha????

I even't found out how do delete files permanently, and did so, but no matter how may files I delete, I'm still at 2.1 storage used.  Is this a ploy to get me to upgrade my account or am I doing something wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox Full

Nate_C
Super User

Hi Shawn,

Deleted files don't count towards your quota, so permanently deleting them does not affect the quota (unlike Google Drive which I believe counts items in trash against your quota).

Where does it say 2.1 used? If it is the Dropbox application, try quitting it and restarting. https://dropbox.com/account should show your correct quota usage.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Nate_C
Super User

Hi Shawn,

Deleted files don't count towards your quota, so permanently deleting them does not affect the quota (unlike Google Drive which I believe counts items in trash against your quota).

Where does it say 2.1 used? If it is the Dropbox application, try quitting it and restarting. https://dropbox.com/account should show your correct quota usage.

View solution in original post

Shawn T.1
New member | Level 1

Hello Nathan:

Yesterday, every time I saved a file to the drop box, I get the warning full box popping up on my screen, but it let me save the files.  Today, I've been saving files to it, but no warnings appeared.   I logged into my Dropbox account online, and it still says my Dropbox is full.  

Yesterday, when I logged into the website it sated that 2.1 of 2.0 is used, but today, it just says its full, but it does not say how much of my Dropbox is used.  

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Do you have any shared folders?

Shawn T.1
New member | Level 1

No, I do not.  

Nate_C
Super User

Are you using a laptop/desktop? If so, check the size of the Dropbox folder to get an idea of how much is stored in there. Perhaps you saved much over 2.1GB in the folder. Then it stopped at 2.1, but there's actually more than that in the folder so you will have to remove more before it drops to 2 or below.

Giulio F.
New member | Level 1

My Dropbox Basic s full: 

1) It reads:  "16,3 Gb of 6,25 in use": I do not understand its meaning. To me it means that I still have 10,05 Gb available !

2) I have consequently deleted many files -including the Dropbox's cache- to be allowed to upload new ones, but still the system says " your Dropbox is full" and does not allow me anything, apart deleting further files.

What is wrong now ? Endless thanks to whomever will answer. 

Giulio Fornaciari

Mark
Super User II

Giulio, it means you have got 10.05gb too much in Dropbox. You need to delete this much data to get syncing to work again.

Your account limit is 6.25gb and in that you have 16.3gb. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Shawn T.1
New member | Level 1

That could be it.  It all started when I downloaded a 35 photo zip file.  I downloaded the file to my computer, opened it, and then moved the 35 photos to my drop box.  After it moved about 2, I got the warning that my dropbox was full, but when I opened the folder, all 35 photos were there. Thats when it said I used 2.1 of 2.0 gb.   

It just seems that a few videos would be more bytes than 35 photos, that's why I deleted them first.

Chris W.61
New member | Level 1

I'm having he same problems. There is probably no more than a couple hundred megs worth of files in my DropBox, yet it keeps saying it's full. I think the bottom line is that if you ever exceed your storage limit, it will never let you add anything again without paying the upgrade price.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Giulio F. New member | Level 1
    Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Chris W.61 New member | Level 1
    Shawn T.1 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?