cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've lost access to my email, and can't login to my Dropbox account

Highlighted

I've lost access to my email, and can't login to my Dropbox account

New member | Level 2

Hi, 

I am writing with high hopes to find help here.

My old email account got hacked more then 6 months ago during my vacation.

I thought it was just my email account which i wasn't able to access but way later like recently i found out that my dropbox linked to the same account can't be accessed either. I never knew that the dropbox account linked to that email will be effected too. 

I tried accessing with the old password, it didn't work and then i changed the password too I still recieve the 2 steps varifications on my cell phone but still i am not able to access it and it keeps on sending me the error message saying : incorrect email or password.

I don't remember if had any additional recovery email on the account as this was the 1st account i ever made with dropbox and it carries alot of precious photos of my grandparents who have recently passed away and of my babies since their birth. 

I tried accessing it by all means i could understand but i am so lost and devastated. 

The Dropbox says they change passwords occassionally I am wondering if that could have been the reason. but what to do? 

how to reach someone in customercare or customer support. 

Please, help I don't want to loose my photos. :( 

Kindly anyone please Help and Thank you. 

Warmest Regards

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Lost access to my linked email and can't access my Dropbox...PLEASE HELP & Thank You

Dropboxer

Hi @Mehreen, thanks for joining the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Generally, if an email address is hacked, then any account associated with the email is at risk since the person has access to reset passwords to login, and so on.

Do you have any access to the email address at all? Has the email provider responded on this matter at all?

If you have a phone with the account connected, can you use the phone to link the Dropbox desktop application directly? If so, you can at least you can download the photos, in case there isn't another way to access the account in future.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?