cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I want to clarify my understanding of how to back up my computer.

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have accumulated many years worth of personal pictures, videos, etc. that I want to protect.  I have subscribed to Dropbox for cloud backup.  I just want to make sure I understand this correct.  In the past I would back up the valuable files to a portable hard drive by easily selecting the "My" folders in Windows 7.  Important folders would include My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music.  Based on the way I understand this, I will now have to move, or copy those folders to my "Dropbox" folder.  I am using a 500 gb ssd in my laptop and I do not want to have duplicate folders.  I am running out of space if I do.  So, the other day I was able to copy "My Pictures" and "My desktop" to my drop box folder.  The sync is almost complete.  In order to free up ssd space, I am assuming I would want to begin using the folders in the main "Dropbox" folder and delete the "My" folder once it has synced to the cloud.  That way the files are in the cloud but also still on my computer and synced every time I add or delete to the "My" folders that are now in the "Dropbox" folder.

I just need clarification.  I think this is correct, but I am a first time, new user and I want to be sure I am getting this right.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I want to clarify my understanding of how to back up my computer.

Super User
Super User

@Paul.

Instead of copying your Desktop, My documents, My videos, etc to the Dropbox folder so you have a backup in the cloud, you can move it.

You can change the location of My Documents and Desktop to Dropbox.

In this way, every time you add a new file into the Desktop or your Libraries (My docs, My videos, etc), the file will be uploaded to Dropbox.

Having your folders and files in Dropbox provides you some backup benefits:

- if your ssd crash, you still have a copy in Dropbox.

- if your laptop or pc is stolen, you still have a copy in Dropbox.

I have extra recommendation for you:

- Encrypt your SSD with Bitlocker. If someone stole your pc or remove your ssd in order to access your data, they will be unable to do it.

- Dropbox can help you to recover your files in the above scenarios, or even if you delete by mistake some files or folders. But Dropbox is NOT a backup solution.

Backup your Dropbox folder from time to time into an external HDD, Bluray disk or any other media. 

There is lot of risk of data lost today with the new virus types (ransomware). So is better to be safe.

One good option is to install Veeam Endpoint Backup Free. With this software, you can backup (the easy way) your full pc to an external HDD or NAS, including your Dropbox folder. The backups are incremental so only the first one will require 30 or 60 minutes. After the initial full backup, the other days your pc will be backed up in just 5 minutes!.

I hope I was clear.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Super User
Super User

@Paul.

Instead of copying your Desktop, My documents, My videos, etc to the Dropbox folder so you have a backup in the cloud, you can move it.

You can change the location of My Documents and Desktop to Dropbox.

In this way, every time you add a new file into the Desktop or your Libraries (My docs, My videos, etc), the file will be uploaded to Dropbox.

Having your folders and files in Dropbox provides you some backup benefits:

- if your ssd crash, you still have a copy in Dropbox.

- if your laptop or pc is stolen, you still have a copy in Dropbox.

I have extra recommendation for you:

- Encrypt your SSD with Bitlocker. If someone stole your pc or remove your ssd in order to access your data, they will be unable to do it.

- Dropbox can help you to recover your files in the above scenarios, or even if you delete by mistake some files or folders. But Dropbox is NOT a backup solution.

Backup your Dropbox folder from time to time into an external HDD, Bluray disk or any other media. 

There is lot of risk of data lost today with the new virus types (ransomware). So is better to be safe.

One good option is to install Veeam Endpoint Backup Free. With this software, you can backup (the easy way) your full pc to an external HDD or NAS, including your Dropbox folder. The backups are incremental so only the first one will require 30 or 60 minutes. After the initial full backup, the other days your pc will be backed up in just 5 minutes!.

I hope I was clear.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I guess I just zipped through too quickly.  I did not realize I could change the location of the"My" folders.  Okay...so now that I have actually copied about 70 gb of data from "My Pictures" and "My Desktop" to the Dropbox folder...if I delete what I copied and move the location of those resident folders to the Dropbox folder, will it see the files already uploaded and will it not try to upload everything again?  Right now I am at 2.5 days and about 1 more day to be completed for just pictures and desktop.

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

If I was you, I just do it in the right way, no matter if you need to upload the files again and need 2 - 3 days. It's the right way of doing it.

- delete the copy you have now on the Dropbox folder.

- move the location of desktop / My docs to Dropbox

- the folders and files will upload to Dropbox (hours or days required)

You can limit the upload speed in Dropbox during work hours and use full speed between 11pm and 7am so you can work without speed limitation with other apps like email and web browsing.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

What you say makes sense and that is how I would prefer to do it.  Thank you for your help and I am pretty sure I have a good understanding of it now.

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

Good!

You will need extra time but you will dot it the right way, and at the end, you will have a copy of your files in the Cloud.

Remember if you are hit by ransomware and your data encrypted (very common today), your Dropbox content will be encrypted as well. So your cloud "backup" is useless.

You can request an event rollback, but this take days and your data will be at risk. Backup your Dropbox at least to Bluray disk from time to time.

I have 70GB in Dropbox. All 70GB can be burned in 3 Bluray disks. I copy all full dropbox content every month and now have a good sleep.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?