cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I downgrade from Plus to Basic, do I get to keep my linked devices?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

As per the topic, if I have Dropbox Plus which supports unlimited linking of devices, and then I downgrade back to the free Basic plan, do I get to keep all my linked devices active still?

Obviously this is to get around the three device limit at the moment because I just formatted my computer but can't add new devices back even though I was already using it previously since I am above the limit like many others (desktop, laptop, tablet, iPhone, Android phone).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: If I downgrade from Plus to Basic, do I get to keep my linked devices?

Dropboxer
Hey there @jace88

Upgrading to and downgrading from paid subscriptions shouldn’t affect the three device limit that Basic accounts have. However, please note that if you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked. You can find more info about this here

I hope this helped to some extent! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey there @jace88

Upgrading to and downgrading from paid subscriptions shouldn’t affect the three device limit that Basic accounts have. However, please note that if you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked. You can find more info about this here

I hope this helped to some extent! 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi,

If I upgrade to a Plus account so I can add a 4th device, if at a latter date I decide to cancel my Plus subscription, will DropBox deactivate (unlink) my devices I added after March 2019?  Will they choose which devices at ramdom to deactivate/unlink?  or will I be able to keep all devices active that were added while on Plus?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Hey there @worsty,

Should you have more than 3 devices connected when you downgrade from a paid subscription, the devices will remain linked. However, if you want to link a new device, then you will need to unlink enough devices so that you are under the device limit.

Hope this clarifies the matter - Thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

What happens to linked devices if I downgrade from Plus to Basic?

New member | Level 2

If I downgrade from Plus to Basic, what happens to my linked devices if they are more than 3?

Highlighted

Re: What happens to linked devices if I downgrade from Plus to Basic?

Dropboxer
Hey there @lazialos

As a Plus user, you can link as many devices as you need and upon downgrade, they will continue to stay linked on your account. 

However, as Basic users have a three device limit, if you want to connect a new one on your account, you’ll need to bring the device count down to two so that you can add it as your third. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil

Highlighted

If I cancel my Dropbox Plus, does my account continue to be connected?

New member | Level 2

Hello all,

I an engineer and using dropbox for my freelancing work. Currently, I have dropbox plus plan with my ID and I have approx 5 devices linked to this account of out 2 are smartphones and 3 are desktop/laptop. My intensions behind purchasing dropbox plus plan is to increase the storage and all linked devices should be sync at same time as I receive my tasks for freelancing work in dropbox. Now, after purchasing subscription for 2 months I came to know that actually I do not need that much storage and I hardly need 5GB of storage. 

So, if I do not renew my dropbox plus subscription and downgrade membership to normal dropbox plan, do my all linked 5 devices are still connected and sync normally ? I know storage will reduce but storage is not an issue for me. I might open any of my linked device and start working on projects so my concern is to sync all the devices whatever changes I make in any of the linked devices when I donwgrade my plan. Is that possible with normal dropbox plan to sync all connected devices and how many devices can be connected in normal dropbox plan? And what are the features of normal dropbox plan ?

My current dropbox plus plan is expiring on 4th may i.e., after 3 days so please guide me on the same urgently. 

Regards,

Hardik Patel

Highlighted

Re: If I cancle my dropbox plus plan does my linked account coutinue to the connection ?

Super User II

Hi @Hardik2727 

Yes they will stay connected BUT if they disconnect for any reason (i.e. you need to reinstall a computer OS etc.) you wont be able to reconnect them while you are still a free user.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?