cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ilegal credit card usage

Ilegal credit card usage

paulday
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My conversation with Kim over someone using my credit card to start an account on Dropbox.  Buyer beware. 

And if this conversation is deleted, I'll be posting about it on the major news services!

Ticket #8516958: DB: $99.00 charge on my credit card that I didn't charge!

You can add a response by replying to this email.

Please be sure to reply with the same email address that you used to originally contact us.

Kim, Nov 4, 9:25 PM PST:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for contacting Dropbox Support! My name is Kim and I'd be happy to help you with this charge!

Dropbox currently only offers phone support for Business Standard, Advanced and Enterprise subscribers however, I am more than happy to assist you via email.

I don't see a charge for your account at [personal information removed for security purposes] — is it possible that you have another account under a different email address?

You can look up a credit card charge with our credit card self-serve lookup tool here:

https://www.dropbox.com/payments/find_receipt

However, if you cannot find the charge in question, or if you have additional questions to that charge, I will need all of the following information for security reasons:
• Card type
• First six digits of the card
• Last four digits of the card
• Full name on the credit card charged
• Date of charge
• Amount charged
• Billing postal code

Additionally, if you have the 12 character alphanumeric transaction ID shown on your bank account, please send that on.

Alternatively, if you paid with PayPal, I will need the PayPal transaction ID. You can find this ID by logging in to your PayPal account and clicking on the transaction in your account history.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
Kim

Kim,

I've found out that there's a charge from last year also.  At the time, I was in the middle of renovating a new home and had so many charges happening that I didn't catch the first charge from Dropbox.

I've checked several email addresses that I use and none have replied with a password reset email.

Card type  xxxx
• First six digits of the card  xxxxxx
• Last four digits of the card  xxxx
• Full name on the credit card charged  Paul Day
• Date of charge   9/30/17 - xxxxxxxxxxxx    10/4/18 - 141-xxxxxxxxx
• Amount charged                $99.00                                        $99.00
• Billing postal code              xxxxx                                         xxxxx       

Another reason I know this is not my charge is I NEVER use any auto renewal service.

Thank you,
Paul Day

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I was able to look up the account based on the transaction ID you kindly provided.. The email address associated with the account is [ [personal information removed for security purposes] 

This charge is for a Dropbox Plus subscription on an annual payment plan. 

Please let me know if you would like for me to go ahead and cancel the automatic renewal of this charge on your behalf.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
Kim

Hi Kim,

Thanks for clarifying that this is not my account and somehow someone was able to use my credit card illegally.

I expect a full refund of $198.00 as this was obviously not me using your service. If I don't receive a full refund I will pursue legal action against Dropbox for not properly verifying the owner of a credit card during purchase.  If it's happened once, I'm sure it's happened before to others.

May I suggest that you contact local authorities to track the person who is fraudulently using your system to recover your lost funds.  You have their email address and I'm sure that your system tracks their upload IP address also.

Thank you,
Paul Day

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm afraid we cannot provide a refund for this charge. However, I've just cancelled the subscription and the account will downgrade to the Basic plan at the renewal date.

Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance or have other inquiries.

Best regards,
Kim

Excuse me, YOUR NOT EVEN GOING TO GIVE A REFUND? and you know that the charge was ILLEGALLY placed.  Oh, and your so unconcerned about the theft that your going to DOWNGRADE the account, not close it and attempt to go after the person who used my credit card illegally.  NO, that would make too much sense.

WOW, is that ever smart and how NOT to run a business.  BOY, first this email chain will be sent  to the credit card company so that they'll see you're at fault and then I'll get my money back.  In the mean time I'll start posting about Dropbox and how they're letting stolen credit cards used on their system and then seem totally unconcerned when notified. 

As proof, I'll be attaching this email post to all posting.  We'll let the public decide, like on the Dropbox forum first.

Paul Day

Now I ask you, would you expect a FULL refund if you were in my shoes?  Also, Kim seems totally unconcerned that Dropbox is not properly venting CC#s when being used on their system.

Paul Day

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there Paul ( @paulday) - apologies for the inconvenience this has caused so far; I understand where you're coming from and I'd like to help with this as much as possible.

Therefore, I found your existing ticket in our system and escalated it to our Payments department in the hopes that they might be able to help further at this point. 

Take a look at your email's inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks so much in advance and have a lovely day ahead!

PS: I removed the personal information from your post for security purposes and to align it with our Forum's guidelines too.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there Paul ( @paulday) - apologies for the inconvenience this has caused so far; I understand where you're coming from and I'd like to help with this as much as possible.

Therefore, I found your existing ticket in our system and escalated it to our Payments department in the hopes that they might be able to help further at this point. 

Take a look at your email's inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks so much in advance and have a lovely day ahead!

PS: I removed the personal information from your post for security purposes and to align it with our Forum's guidelines too.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hang on - somebody has used your card for two years (and your saying illegally as you say you didnt put it in to Dropbox.com) then surly you should be contacting the fraud team of your card company and cancelling the card/getting new numbers etc. as the card is compromised? I'm also sure that the T&Cs will state on the card that you should be checking statements to spot things like this quickly.

Once you contact the card company they can then do the things about chargebacks etc. (although within the UK the limit is 90 days - not sure about the USA). 

Dropbox does vet and check all cards but, as you know, cards do get stolen/cloned, or, people sign up and not realise they've done it, forget and then you know say it was an illegal charge...

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I have to agree with Mark here. You go to Dropbox to cancel the service and allow them to handle the issue internally (they're right not to discuss it any further with you), and then you go to your bank to handle the reversal of the charges.

Your bank will work with Dropbox to resolve the issue using whatever remedies you're entitled to. This is what your bank does, as a service to you. Let them do their job.

paulday
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I already have.  You've heard of a bait card?

Also, If you've understood it all, you'd see the issue really was with the "Not my problem!" attitude.

You're notified that same month of a illegal charge on your system and you don't even offer a refund, OH, but we'll down graded the account (It's not even my account, what part don't you understand?).  So sorry!

Do your really think that I would create such a stink if I wasn't sure.  First clue, I've never had a email address that doesn't include my real name, and never set up any kind of auto renewal service.

paulday
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yea, if I went the way you two would have, I'd be setting on my hands waiting months for the money and more then likely not gotten all of it back.

It's already being fully refunded!

Time of wait:

Four days and a few emails!

Priceless!

paulday
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you Walter.  I've been contacted and funds are being refunded.

FYI, I had to give my CC info over the phone for a custom order a week before the first charge on Dropbox last year, only time I've ever had to do that.  Company info is being handed over to the CC company.

Have a good day.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries Paul - we're always here to help as much as we can from our side - especially in cases of fraud such as this one. I appreciate you circling back to this thread to let me know about the progress on this matter too :slight_smile:

All's well that ends well, right? 

Have a lovely day too @paulday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

baturayozden
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Someone stole my credit card informations and use on your website. I already contact with my bank but I want you to refund my money back asap. 

I can send you my credit card informations and bank statement if you provide me private e-mail adress or contact form. 

Thanks

Baturay

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @baturayozden; how are you today?

I'm sorry to hear about this; I know this can be quite frustrating.

Good job contacting your bank about this too as they'd need to amend this on their end.

As per your inquiry, note that you can reach our support team through the following page directly: https://www.dropbox.com/support  

I hope this helps and that you'll manage to recover your funds Baturay.

If there's anything I can help with in the meantime, please let me know and I'll be happy to follow up.

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

akjaxbeach New member | Level 2
    flowerpowers2054 Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?