cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Billing

Inaccurate Billing

PhillyByChoice
Helpful | Level 5

I have a Basic Plan but I am being billed $19.99 per month.  I have 11 MB of data that I put into the Dropbox in 2016 - it's 3 family photos taken on someone's phone, an 2 GB that someone shared with me from a group travel trip, also in 2016. For a long time, my Dropbox was free. I don't really understand how this happened, and I can't afford $19.99 per month. Help! I'd like to speak with someone live at Dropbox or even email them but they seem to make it impossible. Thank you in advance for your help.  

16 Replies 16

Re: Inaccurate Billing

Mark
Super User II

If you are being billed one of two things has happened - somebody has got hold of your card and is committing fraud or you've two accounts by mistake. 

Use https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/payments-billing/find-credit-card-charge to work out which account is linked to your card and then cancel it via those pages. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

PhillyByChoice
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Mark - Thanks for your guidance. I have looked up my credit card transaction reference and tried clicking thru the link to the billing support . . . but can't . . . I see an open ticket and I clicked on Open to but in my credit card transaction reference but nothing happened. I'm sorry for sounding so lame . . . but it just shouldn't be this hard. My credit card has not been compromised; the only problem is this extravagant Dropbox bill of $19.99 per month for a Basic plan. 

Mark
Super User II

You are not being charged $19.99 for a basic plan. You are being charged that for a second account. 

You can log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support but you may need to use an incognito window and choose the 'get help with account' option

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

PhillyByChoice
Helpful | Level 5

Update: I found the billing support page where you enter your transaction number . . . somehow didn't recognize the places where I was suppose to enter the information. So I submitted a formal billing inquiry with my credit card information. Gosh that was a lot more challenging than it needed to be. It's hard not to suspect that Dropbox is making this too hard on purpose. 

PhillyByChoice
Helpful | Level 5

What's an incognito window?

Rich
Super User II

@PhillyByChoice wrote:

What's an incognito window?

Also known as a private browsing session. Every major browser has one. It allows you to visit a website in a new, empty browser session, without any of your private data being accessible (no access to existing cookies, etc.). In this case, it ensures you're not signed in to a Dropbox account while visiting the support page, as certain options are only visible when you're not signed in.

Cannot View Open Tickets in

PhillyByChoice
Helpful | Level 5

I have an open ticket from Dropbox support (original problem was about billing) and when I click on "Open Ticket", nothing happens. Help!  (and thank you).

PhillyByChoice
Helpful | Level 5

Hey Dropbox - You sent me an email saying the problem was solved (or at least that my open ticket would close in a few hours) but when I click on open ticket, nothing happens.

Could you just send me an email explaining why I am being charged $19.99 per month for a basic account, and promise to stop billing me. 

Thanks . . . 

Re: Cannot View Open Tickets in

Mark
Super User II

Is this at http://dropbox.zendesk.com (note the password is different - you need to get a reset for it)

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    PhillyByChoice Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?