cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Complete your Dropbox setup email

Incorrect Complete your Dropbox setup email

ppslim
New member | Level 2

Today i ahve received an email from Dropbox with the sbject "Complete your Dropbox setup" and inviting me to get started.

It indicates I have completed the step "Create a Dropbox account", then invites me to complete the steps "Download the desktop and mobile apps", "Set up your Dropbox folders" & "Start uploading files!".

I know this email to be legitimately from Dropbox and not from a 3rd party, or some form of Phishing like attempt. Not just was it sent to the very specific & unique address I use only for Dropbox, but also includes via the full technical suite of checks including SPF, DKIM & DMARC.

Here is the thing. I have been using Dropbox since August 2010. I am far from a new member / account, have been using the desktop app since then, the mobile app since 2013 and yeah, most certainly been uploading files / folders for just a tiny amount of time.

So I have to ask, is there a legitimate reason I should be receiving such an email?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Incorrect Complete your Dropbox setup email

Daphne
Dropboxer

If you've indeed confirmed that the email was sent from Dropbox, then it would have been sent out in error.

Occasionally, we run new campaigns and send out reminders like this to try and improve the experience of using Dropbox.

However, there can be mistakes sometimes. Most likely in this case it's due to the additional task which was added since you previously completed the steps.

The only other step I would suggest is to make sure you received this at the email linked with your Dropbox account, and not another email that you might have another account under.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello there @ppslim, I hope you're well today!

If you've indeed confirmed that the email was from an official Dropbox domain, then it could be that the notification was sent out to you by mistake.

Otherwise, is it possible that you may have not completed the "Getting started" steps for your account? You can check this from here.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ppslim
New member | Level 2

All steps with the exception of "Invite some friends to join Dropbox", which at the original time of signup wasn't even a task.

So I have completed all tasks associated with a new member at the point I signed up, and/or could be classed as a new member.

That said, the email received and the tasks on that screen don't mirror each other. Specifically I have completed all tasks the email requests per my original message.

This leads me to believe that it is more likely the email was in error.

How would I go about confirming this?

Daphne
Dropboxer

If you've indeed confirmed that the email was sent from Dropbox, then it would have been sent out in error.

Occasionally, we run new campaigns and send out reminders like this to try and improve the experience of using Dropbox.

However, there can be mistakes sometimes. Most likely in this case it's due to the additional task which was added since you previously completed the steps.

The only other step I would suggest is to make sure you received this at the email linked with your Dropbox account, and not another email that you might have another account under.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?