cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Incorrect Device Limit Implementation

Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox installed on the only three devices I currently own and use, an iPhone, iPad and iMac.

On my iMac I need to boot to multiple Systems in order to test software against them all, macOS Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave, currently. Everything works fine with Sierra and Mojave, but for some reason my High Sierra still thinks seems to be associated with an older iMac that is no longer in use. I've double checked all the places I'm aware of where the Machine name is stored. I also fully uninstalled Dropbox on that volume and re-installed it, but it still believes it's on a different Mac.

Can you tell me what Dropbox uses as the computer identification? Ever since the 3 device limit was imposed, I can no longer user Dropbox with that Volume, saying I need to upgrade in order to use it on a fourth device.

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Incorrect Device Limit Implementation

Super User
Super User

Hey @Al V., you can check the connected devices in the account settings page - https://www.dropbox.com/account/security Scroll down to the bottom in the Devices section, and there you can unlink a device that is no longer in use by clicking the x next to it. 

However, if you dual boot, I am afraid two separate OS would be counted as two devices.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Al V.,

Dropbox isn't even trying count actual devices you are using. The "devices" (especially in quotes) listed in account settings page (as @Elixir mentions) are in fact successfully set up connections. Sometimes more than one connections could refer to same device even in single boot system (when previous connection is left undestroyed) and counted of course. In multiboot systems, when you set up different connections for every one boot setup, in regular install, corresponding connections count would be engaged.

As you mention alternative installs are needed just for tests, so you can use virtual installs, which suit your needs. In such a case just one Dropbox connection is need and the Dropbox folder could be shared to virtual install as virtual drive. Another workaround, when virtual install are not suitable for some reason, could be mirroring Dropbox application settings to alternative installs. To be possible, you have to setup same machine domain name and use same username (i.e. indistinguishable from Dropbox). In such a way you can reuse connection already setted up, not to set up new one.

Hope this gives some direction.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@Elixir, All the devices shown are the currently correct one. The older one has not been listed since I decommisioned it.

If two separate OS's would be counted as two devices, then why am I able to dual boot macOS Mojave and Sierra without issue?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@Здравко, I'll see if I can find the connection list after booting into High Sierra and attempt to destroy  any older ones I find.

Virtual installs are not worth the trouble, just to solve this one issue. I'm a very light Dropbox user.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Al V.,

@Al V. wrote:

If two separate OS's would be counted as two devices, then why am I able to dual boot macOS Mojave and Sierra without issue?

Two or more separate OSes aren't any problem, the problem is connections count. That limitation was set recently and don't affect already existing.

@Al V. wrote:

@Здравко, I'll see if I can find the connection list after booting into High Sierra and attempt to destroy  any older ones I find.

Virtual installs are not worth the trouble, just to solve this one issue. I'm a very light Dropbox user.

No, no, no... Don't remove already existing connections! This is definitely not a solution, just opposite. One removed, already existing connection, will fall in the restriction! That's why don't do this. Just try reusing it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I'm in High Sierra now and don't see any way to correct my situation. When I attempt to log into Dropbox it gives me this:Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 8.20.29 PM.pngand when I go to unlink some devices I get this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 8.10.46 PM.pngwhich mistakenly says this device is "als-imac-i7" (which I unlinked many months ago) and you can clearly see from System Preferences that I'm on "Als-iMac27-i7.local".

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?