cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect name in Dropbox email

Incorrect name in Dropbox email

Srgreenwood
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place or has already been raised.

On 12/12/2021 I received an email from Dropbox titled 'Updates to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy'.

This email started with 'Hi fYJ0*****2N'.  My dropbox password was  'fYJ0*****2N' (I've changed this both here and permanently to access my account.

Later the same day I received the same email - this time addressed to my name.

Is this a data leak? Certainly sending passwords via email isn't great!

Have others received this email or is it just me (note, I've changed my password!)?

PS: I have Dropbox emails sent to a separate email alias (dropbox@....) so am sure it was from them.

See screenshot;

InkedScreenshot 2021-12-14 at 10-56-21 Updates to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy Fastmail_LI.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

After carefully reviewing this case, our agents have discovered that this user had entered a string of characters that may potentially be a password into the name field of second Dropbox account. This is why they were sent this email. If you need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hello there @Srgreenwood , the email from Dropbox should be addressing your name. By any chance, you entered your password as your name? If you login to https://www.dropbox.com/account/general is your name correctly set?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Srgreenwood, sorry to hear about this! 

I just sent you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this. 

Please reply back to me as soon as possible, and we'll continue working on this. 

Cheers! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Srgreenwood
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi

No I did not enter my password as my name.

Dropbox sent two emails:

1) Saying Hi 'my password'

2) Saying Hi 'Steve'

I made no changes to my details in between emails so this error appears to have come from your end.

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

After carefully reviewing this case, our agents have discovered that this user had entered a string of characters that may potentially be a password into the name field of second Dropbox account. This is why they were sent this email. If you need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

krbalezentis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My email was compromised therefore do not send any emails to [Removed as per Community Guidelines] cannot even access it as someone actually took it over and it is my name!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @krbalezentis, if your email was compromised, have you contacted your email provider for further assistance on this matter?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ZK3_
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
My children created the Dropbox many years ago and I had hardly used it independently! So I am having problems convincing you that I am the same person as indicated in my email ID

ZK3_
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
It would be helpful if you could let me know the password used originally by our family of 3, though I have not had the reason to look for it up to now!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ZK3_ wrote:
It would be helpful if you could let me know the password used originally by our family of 3, though I have not had the reason to look for it up to now!

Dropbox cannot tell you what password you used. They wouldn't have access to it. Any company that's serious about security will store passwords in an encrypted form that's not readable.

If needed, you can reset your password. You'll need to enter the email address that was used on your Dropbox account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Uzaif Nadeem New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    ZK3_ New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?