Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect "need more space" email

delnai New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I recently received an email from Dropbox which said "This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape."  However, it appears that all file changes are being synced correctly, and when I sign in to my account I apparently still have ~700MB of free space left. Should I be worried that I received this email, or just ignore it? Has anyone else gotten false alerts like this before?

13 Replies 13

Re: Incorrect "need more space" email

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, could you check the exact email address it was sent to? 

It could be related to another Dropbox account that you created with a similar email, or an alias email associated with your email?

Keep me posted with any updates!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Good thought, Jay! However, I checked and it is the same email address as the one I used to log in to my account. So the mystery is still unresolved.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Could you forward a screenshot of what exactly you see on this page for your quota usage?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 3.37.11 PM.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the image, most likely this was just an email letting you know about the quota limit. 

It doesn’t mean that you’re going to lose syncing any time soon, as you have 700 MB to go, however it was sent just in case you get over your limit, and need assistance on what to do.

I hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

New member | Level 2

Thanks for clarifying, Jay! I hope you understand my confusion, as the email seems to unambiguously say that my files changes are not being saved. It's very important that I know if my files changes are being synced in the collaborative projects in my shared folders. I guess I'll take this as a poorly worded warning. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I’ll forward the feedback to our dev team to see if they can change this email to be more precise in its meaning!

Jay

NotScared New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I got the same email and am at 42% used, 58% free and 6gb available on a very lightly used plan. Clearly this email is to provoke fear into getting folks to upgrade.

-a-
Explorer | Level 4

I just received this email too, and I did verify that its claim that my account "won't save any new changes until it's back in shape" is indeed false.  @Jay, is this going to be fixed?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?