cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Invitations to join Dropbox

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
I invited team members to join my basic Dropbox and gained 500MB for them doing so. However they say they experience problems with space since Dropbox gave me space but takes it away from their allowance ... does anyone know how much is taken from a free allowance in this situation? We are upgrading, but wonder if this is a problem with an upgrade also.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Invitations to join Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @RosieLeonard,

Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders.

A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder, instead.

Hope this clarifies things! Feel free to reach out if you have more questions 

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @RosieLeonard

Did you invite team members on a team or just users to join Dropbox? From your descirption it seems you did the second. (Here's where you can check your referrals)

When you invite people to join Dropbox and they do, you earn 500 MB per referral and can earn up to 16 GB (applies to Basic accounts).

This space is only yours and it is not removed from other members. Is it possible that those users have added a shared folder to their accounts from another user and that is taking up the space?

Thanks!

Zed

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi. Thank you for your reply. Yes I set up a basic Dropbox folder using the second option - we are friends researching the same information it contained (a small family history group). They could then also edit, download etc. I received 500MB into my Dropbox for each of those who downloaded the software.  All went well for a couple of years but one member now says that because the folder I invited them to share has used some of their quota their Dropbox storage allowance is used up. The Dropbox main site does imply that members of a group who share a folder contribute to the shared folder's storage quota and I wonder if, when we upgrade the same rule will apply?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

[merged with the above post by a Dropboxer]

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @RosieLeonard,

Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders.

A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder, instead.

Hope this clarifies things! Feel free to reach out if you have more questions 

Zed

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Sounds like an answer to my query. One more question please ... if I link someone to a file or folder instead of sharing can they still add/edit to the folder?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
apologies ... just read the link you shared and now can answer my own question. Once again, thank you.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No apologies needed! I'm here if you need anything else, have a great day!

Zed

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
The link in the above reply leads to a 404 error.  How do I view the invitations to my business account that I have sent to colleagues? I think this is the link to the forum thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Space/Invitations-to-join-Dropbox/m-p/218682/highlight/true#M9500 Thanks.  OK, I found a user reply with the answer. Change the dropdown field at the top of the Team Admin page from "Active" to "ALL."
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey MikeyTwoShoes

Thanks for posting your query on the Community, I'd like to warmly welcome you! 

Seems like you found the answer to your question but it is my understanding that you're just beginning with your Dropbox Business account and I'd like to share the following resources, just to help you set up your account in no time: 

- Welcome to Dropbox Business
- Secure collaboration with team folders
- A Look Inside the Dropbox Business Admin Console

If you need further assistance, please let me know here!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?