cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invited to new job's Dropbox business account, but can't access due to storage limits

Highlighted

Invited to new job's Dropbox business account, but can't access due to storage limits

New member | Level 2

Just starting a new job and my boss has invited me to become a team member of their Dropbox business account. I'm unable to access the shared folder due to folder exceeding storage limit.

I had set up a new Dropbox account using my new work email address, so it's a free/basic account. Is this the cause of the problem? I assumed I wouldn't need an upgraded account since I would share the business storage quota?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Invited to new job's Dropbox business account, but can't access due to storage limits

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I've been doing some research this afternoon and figured out the issue. My work set me up with the Dropbox account with my new work email, but I think Dropbox recognized the account as a personal account rather than a work/business account, so the invite wasn't actually adding me to the team member list.

I've gone back into my account settings and switched to business and sent a new request to the admin, which they have now accepted and now I have full access to the business' shared folder.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me and for your help!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Invited to new job's Dropbox business account, but can't access due to storage limits

New member | Level 2

From what I can find, I wouldn't need an upgraded account, but maybe the shared folder is using up the business account's entire capacity, or other team members are using it elsewhere?

"If you're on a Dropbox Business team and you share a folder with someone else on your team, the shared folder only uses the team's aggregate storage quota. However, if you share a folder with someone not included in your team, the folder uses both your team's space and space on the account of the person you shared with."

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there Barry - how are you today?

As this shouldn't be happening, could you send me a screenshot of the problem or error you're stumbling upon?

By the way, have you had the admin of the Dropbox for Business account invite you to the team using this new email address (and account) of yours? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thank you! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I've been doing some research this afternoon and figured out the issue. My work set me up with the Dropbox account with my new work email, but I think Dropbox recognized the account as a personal account rather than a work/business account, so the invite wasn't actually adding me to the team member list.

I've gone back into my account settings and switched to business and sent a new request to the admin, which they have now accepted and now I have full access to the business' shared folder.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me and for your help!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that Barry; all's well that ends well I guess, right?

Should you need anything else, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll be happy to follow up on this thread with additional information.

In the meantime, have a lovely weekend and thanks for using Dropbox!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?