cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Highlighted

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@camner, It depends on cloud service You choose, but very often transfer could be automated and done in few minutes (connection between services is broadband). It's not need all data to pass locally (at least in some cases).

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Yes I'm also outraged at this.

The below is an email ticket I have just sent through their Contact form.

"I have received Your Email today about the huge price increase. To say I am not happy about it is an understatement.
To start with I don't want or need extra storage, nor do I give a rats about the other so called extras. I am happy with what I have and seriously object to a huge Automatic price hike for something I don't want, need or asked for. This is utter BS."

I, like a lot of others, subscribe to Microsoft Office and automatically get 1TB of storage. I currently only use about 180GB, So 2 TB is just a ridiculous over spend to me.
I will be cancelling this service if they don't fix it. This is just a flat money grab. Sounds like they are in financial trouble and think this is going to solve their issues.

I have infact just tried to put in a closure at the end of my billing period but surprise surprise, no such option available.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Oh thank goodness this is awesome news! I'm glad that so many people are as outraged as me but everyone was just saying "bye dropbox" and I'm over here like.. I still have the issue that its not easy for me to just cancel.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
My account doesn't expire until May next year, so hopefully Dropbox will reconsider or I will not be renewing
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

This is completely ridiculous. Any company upping their prices by 20% and not expecting a backlash are idiots. I am using less than 30GB, but was OK with paying the price they have now, I do not need more space for more money. At least have different levels of subscription, so people who actually need the extra space can pay for it.

I will certainly change to one of the alternatives, this is beyond greedy on Dropbox's part.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox thinks it's Netflix, and it might be right...

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I could not agree more with you. I think they forgot that we are the customer and money does not grow in trees. The outrage I had reading their email is hard to describe but I wanted to scream. I think that during a budget meeting at Dropbox, someone ask the question on how we could increase our sales by 20% and someone else mentioned... Hey, let's increase the package by 20% and everybody around the table probable nodded that it was the best idea in the world.  They are all millionaires so they don't know what $50 is. 

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox thinks it's Netflix, and it might be right...

Helpful | Level 5

I can see that pcloud has life-time subscriptions (i.e. a one-time payment), for 500GB that is less expensive than 15 months of dropbox plus. Interestingly they are on sale right now

Sorry Dropbox, you actually had me consider the alternatives with this move, that was a bad idea.

Highlighted

Dropbox Plus upgrade 1TB to 2TB

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

just found out Dropbox Plus is providing upgrade from 1TB to 2 TB with INCREASE  in price.  I hardly use 30GB of my 1TB for the last 2-3 years.. Why would I want 2TB even though the price is only increase by US20 ?  It is unnecessary

On the other hand i would actually expect that this increase in capacity be free of charge for long term customers. 

Anyway can revert back to my existing rates,  that is abolish your upgrade plans 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I'm finally done with DB. Long time ago I said they'd never lower prices, or offer lower tiers, they'd just keep raising prices and keep adding the storage we have. I need less then 100GB of storage. I'm officially out. It was the best service I've used, but I'm downloading Google Drive right now and moving all my stuf over, soon as it's over, I'm cancelling DB.

Also, about the new "features," I don't want them. I want reliable cloud storage. I understand DB needs to look like a profitable company, and must show some growth, so it's adding some [profanity removed by moderation according to the Community Guidelines] features and raising prices all the while, to keep growth, not by actually getting new customers but by stealing from its current customers.

So remember, DB left me, I never left DB.

Bryan

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

All 25GB or so of my DB files are moving to Google Drive as as type. All my media is stored with iTunes so I don't keep local copies, I just stream as needed. I would have paid $1.99/mo for 50GB with DB, but for that price I get 1TB with Google. The math doesn't add up for the customer.

I'm sorry I won't be around for the $999/mo plan for 1PB.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?