cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

pissedoffd
New member | Level 2

Stop fobbing people off with some lame corporate reply and listen to your customers. We did not request, ask or even have a choice in this! You were once the best cloud service on the market, however, sadly greed got the better of you like all capitalist organisations.

houseofydell
Helpful | Level 6
 So, I honestly made peace with the 2TB thing when I realised I could use DropBox as a cloud backup for my whole computer (the important stuff, nothing that could be reinstalled) with a mirror sync.... buuuuuut you just took that away. So..... I'm with everyone else here. I'll be moving my things & canceling before you EVER get to charge me your new rate (that you never asked if I wanted to pay in the first place). So, thank you for having been great once, you helped a lot when I needed it, but now... I don't see a point.

BYEEEEEEEEEEEE

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7

I already suffer major difficulties managing 500GB through dropbox. 

(a) Does not SYNC due to number of files.
For the last few years I have been manually, due to the fact that the Dropbox app cannot handle the number of files in my archive.  -- despite this I stuck with dropbox.

(b) Cannot download my archive.
I wanted to download my archive in an attempt to get off Dropbox asap = Unfortunately, it constantly crashes. Effectively I cannot download my files, dropbox will either fail in creaeting a .zip, or it times out during download.   I have to micro download files, almost file per file to be able to get my archive off their horrid service. 

(c) QUESTION --- if Dropbox cannot handle a 500GB archive, how $^#^&%$ will it manage a 2TB solution? 

(D) pCloud is currently selling 2TB for $350 LIFETIME.  Does Dropbox management somehow exist in a coked up 1990's timepocket?

houseofydell
Helpful | Level 6
"Does Dropbox management somehow exist in a coked up 1990's timepocket?" This is my new favourite quote.
pCloud is what Dropbox kind of was, FYI. I just finished signing up & they will transfer from cloud to cloud. So, I'm letting them transfer my stuff off dropbox to them because micro downloading was making my brain hurt.
Also, you don't have to have 2TB if you don't wanna. They don't make you. They are pro-choice.

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7

Greetings houseofydell,

thank you very much for your comments, It is great to hear that pCloud are so welcoming/helpful. 

As with you, I am having seizures trying to manually download my dropbox files ... hitting the 10K file limit for my downloads is a pain. 

I was in the process of testing AnyTrans when I saw your reply; and had a problem in that they have a 30GB transfer limit (and pro-accounts are currently unavailable), so the news you bring is prefectly timed. 

Good luck with the new service, sounds like it could be a relief as we head into a new year. 

Ken07
Helpful | Level 5

Although prices have gone up - Quality of service from Dropbox seems to be far better than P Cloud.  A quick search  for reviews on Trust Pilot shows a not so rosie picture of P Coud ....

mr c.1
Helpful | Level 7

Hi @Ken, thanks for the advice. I have started using pCloud and to be honest I love it! It feels a lot like Dropbox used to = the main difference is that it works 😛

I will update if anything nefarious happens. So far, I am relieved and satisifed to have a replacement.

+ also I have signed up to iDrive. It is a backup solution, not for file sharing -- but once again, I am pleased with the streamlined and focused nature of the application. It is not trying to compete with google, etc.. they just do what they say they will. Additionally, they have some great specials at the moment - so even if you don't like the service it is a minimal investment. I have paid $3.48 USD for 1 x year @5TB of storage. [Removed external links to allign with the Community guidelines]

Happy new year!

Ben T.5
Explorer | Level 3

Had the exact same experience when I saw the new pricing structure; i'm really not sure what the issue is with introducing an intermediate plan between free and 2TB. I've got no problem with paying for space, but I can't face overpaying for space I don't need.

I much prefer the way Dropbox behaves vs Google Drive, but given they offer a £2.49/month plan for 200GB I had no option but to switch to them instead. Not ideal, but perfectly good for the purpose, and saves me ~£100 a year.

acurse
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks DropBox for the years of sucking us in

Now you've built your database of millions of users you want to whack a fat charge on us all.  If it was a more reasonable cost I'd consider staying on board...

Anyway, thanks for the journey, I'll reduce my dropbox requirement to a total minimum and get on with my other free cloud providers. 

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8

As a user that have been with dropbox since the start it´s time to say good bye...

Now using Microsoft OneDrive... 1Tb for US$ 14.50 a YEAR in Brazil (R$ 59,90) when I buy Office 365 Personal in local retailers .  Dropbox is US$ 119.99 a year, so it´s 8x more expensive. 

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?