cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it possible to bypass the 15GB upload limit? I have super large files that need to be uploaded.

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I would like to know if there is any way of uploading large folders without a 15GB limit. I need to back up my entire itunes library (80 GB) and my iphoto library (320 GB). I am not able to upload individual pictures and songs at the moment. I need to know if there is any way of uploading (maybe through my local dropbox folder on my computer?) without being limited to the 15GB upload limit. Please let me know how best to proceed. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is it possible to bypass the 15GB upload limit? I have super large files that need to be uploaded.

Collaborator | Level 8

Hey, Lucas and Rick. Hey, Mark!

I'm a newbie to Dropbox (DB) but I've already learned Mark knows what he's talking about. So as he says you'll be fine with what you want to do. 

Rick, I think Lucas is referring to the DB Help Center article: Is there a limit or maximum to how big my files can be? The number in that article is 10 GB, not 15 GB. But it's close enough for me to think that's where it's likely derived from.

Lucas, the article says there's a 10 GB upload limit - per file - only when uploading through the DB website. So if there's a file bigger than 10 GB (and your account has enough storage space for it) then you must use the desktop or mobile client. Both the DB desktop and mobile clients are free of the 10 GB - per file - size limit.

I humbly suggest you consider using iPhoto library Manager (ILM). That’s what I’ve used for years. I strongly recommend it. You can try the free trial version to test it out. If it proves worth it the price is $29.95. For me, at least by the way I tested it, that took roughly 15 minutes. 

Btw, I don’t work for or (in any way) represent Fat Cat Software.

Using ILM you could create multiple (much smaller) iPhoto Libraries copied from the massive one. That way you’d have 14 iPhoto libraries, each around 24 GB in size, instead of the massive 320 GB you’re forced to deal with now.

By comparison that would make both uploading and download iPhoto libraries much quicker. It would also make your Mac much faster because it’s working with a small fraction of that large library it’s used to.

On the other hand, maybe you want to keep that massive 320 GB on your Mac all at once. Sure, no problem. ILM lets you split, copy, and in this case - merge - iphoto libraries. Which means you can split it into smaller libraries to upload to Dropbox and later download and merge them all back together again. 

The software has plenty of features too. Including previews so you can select a library, browse its many events and photos, then actually copy only certain events or photos from that library and move it into another. Or even use them to start up a whole new library. Plus keep a list on the left hand side of all your iPhoto libraries and switch between them with a click or two.

ILM returns full control of iPhoto back to you. 

It’s just a suggestion. You may not find it worth the time or money. You may decide it’s just not an option for you. I understand. I just want to give you options.

In case you’re wondering, I personally max my iPhoto libraries at 24 GB and a few times up to 48 GB. When I reach that I start a brand new library. No exceptions.

The reason is I burn backups of iPhoto libraries to blu-ray discs and they have a limit of 25 GB. Duals up to 50 GB.

So if there’s an upcoming event and I really need my Mac to have some 100 GB in one iPhoto library, all it takes is referring to 2 to 4 blu-ray discs, copying them to my mac, then tell ILM to merge them all into one massive library. 

Either way, no matter how you work with your data, I hope all goes well and you enjoy using Dropbox Pro.

Oh, plus it goes without saying, please tell me you have a local relatively permanent backup of both your iTunes and iPhoto library already. Like a backup on DVD, blu-ray or an external drive.

You do make local backups of your data, right?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to bypass the 15GB upload limit? I have super large files that need to be uploaded.

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Should not be a problem with a Pro account. (Where did you see that limit?)

However, you should be aware that DB has a <file id> for copyrighted music files and may exclude yours if the <file id> matches.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

maybe through my local dropbox folder on my computer

Yes. Thats the whole point of the folder. 

Put the files inside the Dropbox folder and give it time. Lots and lots of time!

you should be aware that DB has a <file id> for copyrighted music files and may exclude yours if the <file id> matches.

Thats incorrect. 

Dropbox does not stop you uploading ANYTHING at all - as although copyright you may hold a valid licence for it (iTunes being prime example). However, it may stop you sharing a link to copyright files. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Collaborator | Level 8

Hey, Lucas and Rick. Hey, Mark!

I'm a newbie to Dropbox (DB) but I've already learned Mark knows what he's talking about. So as he says you'll be fine with what you want to do. 

Rick, I think Lucas is referring to the DB Help Center article: Is there a limit or maximum to how big my files can be? The number in that article is 10 GB, not 15 GB. But it's close enough for me to think that's where it's likely derived from.

Lucas, the article says there's a 10 GB upload limit - per file - only when uploading through the DB website. So if there's a file bigger than 10 GB (and your account has enough storage space for it) then you must use the desktop or mobile client. Both the DB desktop and mobile clients are free of the 10 GB - per file - size limit.

I humbly suggest you consider using iPhoto library Manager (ILM). That’s what I’ve used for years. I strongly recommend it. You can try the free trial version to test it out. If it proves worth it the price is $29.95. For me, at least by the way I tested it, that took roughly 15 minutes. 

Btw, I don’t work for or (in any way) represent Fat Cat Software.

Using ILM you could create multiple (much smaller) iPhoto Libraries copied from the massive one. That way you’d have 14 iPhoto libraries, each around 24 GB in size, instead of the massive 320 GB you’re forced to deal with now.

By comparison that would make both uploading and download iPhoto libraries much quicker. It would also make your Mac much faster because it’s working with a small fraction of that large library it’s used to.

On the other hand, maybe you want to keep that massive 320 GB on your Mac all at once. Sure, no problem. ILM lets you split, copy, and in this case - merge - iphoto libraries. Which means you can split it into smaller libraries to upload to Dropbox and later download and merge them all back together again. 

The software has plenty of features too. Including previews so you can select a library, browse its many events and photos, then actually copy only certain events or photos from that library and move it into another. Or even use them to start up a whole new library. Plus keep a list on the left hand side of all your iPhoto libraries and switch between them with a click or two.

ILM returns full control of iPhoto back to you. 

It’s just a suggestion. You may not find it worth the time or money. You may decide it’s just not an option for you. I understand. I just want to give you options.

In case you’re wondering, I personally max my iPhoto libraries at 24 GB and a few times up to 48 GB. When I reach that I start a brand new library. No exceptions.

The reason is I burn backups of iPhoto libraries to blu-ray discs and they have a limit of 25 GB. Duals up to 50 GB.

So if there’s an upcoming event and I really need my Mac to have some 100 GB in one iPhoto library, all it takes is referring to 2 to 4 blu-ray discs, copying them to my mac, then tell ILM to merge them all into one massive library. 

Either way, no matter how you work with your data, I hope all goes well and you enjoy using Dropbox Pro.

Oh, plus it goes without saying, please tell me you have a local relatively permanent backup of both your iTunes and iPhoto library already. Like a backup on DVD, blu-ray or an external drive.

You do make local backups of your data, right?

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?