cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get a refund for a Dropbox for Business purchase?

Is it possible to get a refund for a Dropbox for Business purchase?

Eugene R.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here's the full story.

In January 2105, I worked for a company and signed up for DropBox for bussiness account using my work email address. In March 2015, I left the company and lost access to that email address. I personally lost access to that service in March 2015.

This January, 5 days after my personal credit was charged $850, I contacted DropBox and asked for a refund over the phone. The person on the other line said there's no way for him to transfer me to the billing department and said that I can only submit a ticket via email.

I submitted a ticket via email and got a response that my concern was escalated. A day later, I was notified that I'm not eligible for any refund. I responded again asking to look into it again and asking for the phone number to call to reach the billing department.

I got the following response:
"I am currently the highest level of support and am more than willing to assist you with your concerns.

This issue has already been escalated and no exception could be made in this case. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

At this point, I would suggest disputing the charge with your bank/credit card company."

There was no easy way for me to remove my credit card information from that account. There was no way for DropBox to notify me about the fact that my card will soon be charged because I lost access to that email account.

Dear DropBox, is this really how you do business? Do you think it's fair to do this? 

Please understand, it was impossible for me to prevent this charge and cancel the service on time. At this time, I'm ready to go public about this issue and notify major tech news website about how you treat customers.

thank you
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Chicklet5 wrote:

I hope dropbox can help me resolve this issue - the second account was just a mistake.

Have you contacted them yet? If not, you need to.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Or, if you have a Dropbox for Business account, use the phone number found in your admin console under Help.

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Tom H.
Super User
Go to solution

Honestly,

Dispute the charge with the credit card company will often be your best result. IMHO, it will also be the best outcome for your time. Its a relatively easy process. It will take a small period of time. 

Dropbox has a no refunds policy. Which they have conveyed to you above. The "no exception" portion.

This is the relevant help document https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/532

I am also a paying subscriber. I don't work for Dropbox, I am just a fellow user.

Unauthorized charges could cause issue, if they came at an inopportune time for us (myself and wife).

Best of luck,

Eugene R.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Tom, thanks for your input. 

It's strikes me how DropBox support and whoever is making the decision behind the scenes about the refund is failing to see the whole picture.

That’s a bad business practice and lack of common sense. I’m still hoping they will refund the money back onto my credit card. If not, I’ll have to contact my credit card provider.

Cheers

Mustafa H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I agree bad practice in the long run.  I also am trapped in a business account as well, but as a paying customer might as well make sure other's are informed of this trap. 

Dave M.43
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Unfortunately, I currently find myself in the same situation.

Ella R.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I was charged for a business account (I did not want to continue with the business account) and they issued a void for me because I caught it so early. It has been five days and still the charges are pending on my account. I signed up for a new DropBox Business account using another email address (as to not be charged). I have received no information about my voided charge and they are totally ignoring me. I have sent countless emails, left voicemails and even messaged via Twitter. I do not know what do do . 

Ella R.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

In short, Dropbox has the worst customer service I have ever received. Trying to get in touch with them is next to impossible. WeTransfer is where I will be taking my business. I sent an email to the 5000+ employees who work with my company and we all agree. This place is awful. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It has been five days and still the charges are pending on my account

That is, unfortunately, your card companies fault. You may want to call them and ask how long they hold the pending for. 

If Dropbox has said they've voided it then they wont progress past the pending stage. The card company now needs to release the available credit to you. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ella R.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you SO much Mark. All I wanted was a response from someone who is in the know. Have a great Friday. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Note I dont work for Dropbox, I just know that if I process refunds it can take up to 10 days for them to appear / clear holds etc. 

Personally - its a con for the card companies holding the money that long but ho-hum.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sjsiegel001 Explorer | Level 3
    Minato Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
    cheyenne Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?