cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get a refund for a Dropbox for Business purchase?

Is it possible to get a refund for a Dropbox for Business purchase?

Eugene R.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here's the full story.

In January 2105, I worked for a company and signed up for DropBox for bussiness account using my work email address. In March 2015, I left the company and lost access to that email address. I personally lost access to that service in March 2015.

This January, 5 days after my personal credit was charged $850, I contacted DropBox and asked for a refund over the phone. The person on the other line said there's no way for him to transfer me to the billing department and said that I can only submit a ticket via email.

I submitted a ticket via email and got a response that my concern was escalated. A day later, I was notified that I'm not eligible for any refund. I responded again asking to look into it again and asking for the phone number to call to reach the billing department.

I got the following response:
"I am currently the highest level of support and am more than willing to assist you with your concerns.

This issue has already been escalated and no exception could be made in this case. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

At this point, I would suggest disputing the charge with your bank/credit card company."

There was no easy way for me to remove my credit card information from that account. There was no way for DropBox to notify me about the fact that my card will soon be charged because I lost access to that email account.

Dear DropBox, is this really how you do business? Do you think it's fair to do this? 

Please understand, it was impossible for me to prevent this charge and cancel the service on time. At this time, I'm ready to go public about this issue and notify major tech news website about how you treat customers.

thank you
29 Replies 29

evgeny r.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I should have posted the resolution to this earlier but here it is.

After a week of calling/emailing/sending tweets I was going nowhere. I submitted a dispute through the credit card company explaining exactly how this happened. A few days later, Dropbox support person responded saying that I'll get a full refund.

It's hard to say whether Dropbox decided to bend their rules a little out of the blue or they felt the pressume from the credit card company.

At the end, I got my money back. Lesson learned - never give Dropbox your credit card. Their combination of rules, policies and auto-renewals is unethical.

Cheers and good luck everyone.

Marcia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you evgeny r.!!! Very helpfull!!! I will do the same!!!

Chicklet5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am in the exact same boat but I actually wound up with TWO business accounts which charged me 2 full yearly memberships after my trial expired. 1700 bucks that I never intended to spend. 

I wasn't having any luck uploading my files on my original account, the site kept crashing mid-upload. These were 2GB files, tops. Thinking my account simply hadn't  been properly upgraded, I made a second throwaway account to test the uploading capacity. It crashed again, and didn't seem to have been upgraded from a basic (free) DB membership. 

Fastforward to yesterday, I notice 2 850$ charges on my card - apparently both accounts were automatically upgraded to business without my knowledge. One for the main account (which still shows up as 'basic' not business) the other for the throwaway account. 

I hope dropbox can help me resolve this issue - the second account was just a mistake.

Chicklet5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Also - would you mind sharing if you live in the EU? I am in Canada and I am not sure we have the 14-day grace period for refunds that they apparently do in the EU.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Chicklet5 wrote:

I hope dropbox can help me resolve this issue - the second account was just a mistake.

Have you contacted them yet? If not, you need to.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Or, if you have a Dropbox for Business account, use the phone number found in your admin console under Help.

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Chicklet - I'm in the EU (United Kingdom) and while I know this doesnt apply to you it may to others.

The 14 day cooling off period is a consumer right, it does not apply to businesses OR importantly business services/products. So a consumer buying something for a business/aimed at a business would not qualify for the cooling off period.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chicklet5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I have sent in my support ticket but I am hoping to get this resolved with a real human person. Unfortunately since today is Saturday, I will need to wait until Monday to have access to dropbox live support.

sjsiegel001
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

After using dropbox as a free service for so long, I was sucessfully enticed to sign up for a dropbox business account trial with the understanding that I would be charged a very reasonable $12.50/mo if I didn't cancel at the end of the period. 

What I didn't know was that at the end of said period there's an autorenewal which charged my card for an entire year immeditely with 5 member member minimum for $750 total, with no refund offered unless legally required.

I've been attempting to contact support via phone, email, and by 'submitting a help request' as listed through the admin panel. The support phone number listed there is just an automated message telling me to email them or submit a help request. Both emailing and submitting a help request produce the same automated email message telling me I can close my account at the end of the 1 year billing period, but offer nothing in response to my request for a refund. The live chat is listed as 'closed' when I'm logged into my business account, however interestingly I have no problem live chatting with sales when complely logged out, trying to sell me a business account until they find out I have one, at which point they immediately end the chat session and direct me back to the bogus support page on the admin panel.

Needless to say, this is morally reprehensible business ethic. I was unsurprised to find that the BBB ratings for dropbox are utterly abysmal.

If there's any other option besides attempting to forcably reconcile matters through my credit card company, please let me know.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You agreed when you joined to pay for 5 users - it very very clearly states this when you get to the payment page. Unfortunately YOU didnt read the information correctly. It isnt Dropbox at fault here.

Also, I'm moving this to the support area rather than feature requests.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

sjsiegel001
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It certianly wasn't made clear to me that my account would be auto-upgraded at the end of the the trial period and charged for an entire year instantly (the default setting). There's no reason why anybody would pay a year up front without any incentives, if you want to make the argument that dropbox doesn't use deception as a tactic to snare customers then maybe you can explain why that's even a setting much less the default.

By the way, it's one thing to stick customers with surprise bills, it's another to give them the runaround when they're unsatisfied by having a phony ticketing system and a phony toll free support number that send only send automated messages refusing pro-rated refunds. This is classic wheeling and dealing, I had my guard down because I never expected this from an acclaimed cloud service company.

I've been left with no other choice than to get a chargeback from my bank which finally resulted in dropbox downgrading my account with a full refund to avoid legal action. Dropbox even has an automated message for such an occasion: go figure.

It's really sad that dropbox forced me to resort to this to get my money back as I would have otherwise likely been a loyal long-term customer. My issue is resolved, thanks Mark.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sjsiegel001 Explorer | Level 3
    Minato Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
    cheyenne Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?