Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it possible to write-protect a subfolder?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have a folder that is shared with a bunch of co-workers. One sub-folder of this is a bunch of python code that the users will be running on their own machines. 

I'd like to be able to write-protect the code-folder so that users aren't accidentally writing over the code and things like that. Is it possible in dropbox? 

I understand that I can make a new top-level folder, share that with write permissions, but I'd like to put this in a place that is more logical for the users.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to write-protect a subfolder?

Super User
Super User

As a workaround, you can download and install BoxCryptor. It's free up to 2GB if I remember well.

With this app, you will have an special folder (BoxCryptor) and everything inside is encrypted.

Only you will have access to this folder (with a password) and the app installed on your PC.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I'd like to be able to write-protect the code-folder so that users aren't accidentally writing over the code and things like that. Is it possible in dropbox? 

No. You can specify view-only access to the entire share, but not individual sub-folders of the share.

Highlighted

Super User
Super User

As a workaround, you can download and install BoxCryptor. It's free up to 2GB if I remember well.

With this app, you will have an special folder (BoxCryptor) and everything inside is encrypted.

Only you will have access to this folder (with a password) and the app installed on your PC.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?