cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is there a limit when creating folders?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

To whom have answers on my queston,

I have been with Dropbox as a regular user since almost 2 years ago. I am paying 8.9 dollars every month!!!

This is good cause I can access from other devices like iphone, ipad not just though my notebook.

until sometime ago, there was no problem in creating folders, saving files and open the folders & filds thru other devices like iphone & ipad.  But, I found sometime ago that I can create new folders but the newly created files & folders couldn't be accessed from mobile devices, though new folders are still seen and accessible throu notebook with no problem as always. FYI, currently the total data size are 16.5 giga, which is far less than 1TB, the permitted size.  

questions.

1. Is there a kind of limitation in creating number of folders ? or files ?

2. I bought a new notebook. How can I transfer the dropbox data from the old notebook to the new one?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: no of folder

Super User
Super User

Hello @JerryW, There is no hard limit on how many folders or files you can save in your Dropbox account. So I suspect there is some issues with your mobile app. You may do a clean install of the app. 

Regarding transferring your Dropbox data to a new computer: you can just install the Dropbox app in your new computer, login with the same account. It will a create local folder named Dropbox just like your other computer. And it will download all the data automatically. If you don't mind downloading all your data (16.5 GB) over your internet connection, no further action required. 

If you do not want to download all the data over internet, you can pause the sync just after setting up/linking your account. Then copy the contents from inside the Dropbox folder on your old computer to inside the Dropbox folder in your new  computer. Then resume the Sync process agin. Dropbox might re-index the files on new computer, just give some time. The Pause/Resume sync option can be found by clicking the Dropbox icon in your Windows taskbar tray area or MacOS menubar. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: no of folder

Super User
Super User

Hello @JerryW, There is no hard limit on how many folders or files you can save in your Dropbox account. So I suspect there is some issues with your mobile app. You may do a clean install of the app. 

Regarding transferring your Dropbox data to a new computer: you can just install the Dropbox app in your new computer, login with the same account. It will a create local folder named Dropbox just like your other computer. And it will download all the data automatically. If you don't mind downloading all your data (16.5 GB) over your internet connection, no further action required. 

If you do not want to download all the data over internet, you can pause the sync just after setting up/linking your account. Then copy the contents from inside the Dropbox folder on your old computer to inside the Dropbox folder in your new  computer. Then resume the Sync process agin. Dropbox might re-index the files on new computer, just give some time. The Pause/Resume sync option can be found by clicking the Dropbox icon in your Windows taskbar tray area or MacOS menubar. 

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?