cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to stop continual sign up by scammer using employees name?

Highlighted

Is there any way to stop continual sign up by scammer using employees name?

Helpful | Level 6

As a background, one of our employees obviously fell for the click this link and had their Office 365 account compromised.

The account was recovered with no further access to the account (although it took a while to realise an inbox rule had been setup preventing the employee knowing it had been compromised).

While the scammer had access to their account, they've stolen their contact list as well.

Our current problem is that whoever stole these details seems to be creating a new account every few weeks using our employees name, but non-business email addresses (ie. AOL).

Our customers are now prepared for this email to be a phishing attempt, so they will not fall for it, but they are still getting angry at us, as it was a breach of our data that led to this issue.

Is there anything that can be done considering the employees name is not particuarly common? Or are we going to have to just deal with it everytime this scammer sends out one of these emails?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Is there any way to stop continual sign up by scammer using employees name?

Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

As an update, I have received confirmation from Dropbox support that the functionality I enquired about does not exist.

It is as I expected, but felt I should update my post to recognise as such.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @tomsco; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this, but, as you put it, it appears that this issue is related to your employee's email address and not to their Dropbox account. Any emails originating from a Dropbox account would be sent out from “no-reply@dropbox.com” if it was shared via the website or the desktop client and used no 3rd party integrations.

However, if any third party integrations were used, such as a link sent via Email or text message, it would come directly from a contact or colleague.

In this case, I'd strongly encourage you to get in touch with your email service provider to ensure that your account is secure and always double check links in your messages to confirm they point to Dropbox and not a malicious site. A list of valid email addresses can be found here: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/official-domains 

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify, while the account was initially compromised, it is no longer. Unfortunately, while it was compromised, they exported the contact list and that is what they are using.

Each new attempt is coming from a new dropbox account created with our employees email.

What I was asking is that, as our employees name is not particularly common, whether Dropbox has the ability to implement a flag whenever someone creates an account with this persons name (ie. if name is used, it may ask for further verification). I know that facility probably isn't there, but just thought I'd ask.

I have attached a screenshot of the email (with identifying details hidden).Dropbox.png

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

As an update, I have received confirmation from Dropbox support that the functionality I enquired about does not exist.

It is as I expected, but felt I should update my post to recognise as such.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?