cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined Team account and mistakenly merged accounts

Highlighted

Joined Team account and mistakenly merged accounts

Explorer | Level 3

I clickity clicked through the process of joining a Team. My personal and other work folders merged with the Team. Now I realize I should not have done that. I see the solution (copy/pasted below). But reading the community responses, I am afraid if I ask the Team Admin to convert me then all my data will not "come back to me". How do I know that all my previous files will be available to me when i am converted to an indivisual account?

How to convert a team member to an individual account

1. Sign in to dropbox.com with your admin credentials.
  2. Click Admin Console.
  3. Choose the Members tab.
  4. Click the gear icon next to the name of the person you want to remove.
  5. Select Delete member.
  6. Click Convert to individual Dropbox Basic account instead.
  7. Click Convert account
4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Joined Team account and mistakenly merged accounts

Dropboxer
Hey @userview, 

Thanks for getting in touch on the Community for advice & taking the time to review your current options. Despite having joined the team already, if you don’t feel comfortable with this transition, then your best next steps are the ones you’ve already referenced, so you're definitely looking towards the right direction. 

At this point, let me re-phrase from the relevant resource that your personal content should be restored back to how it used to be:

• All private (not shared) files and folders
  • Shared folders you own
  • Shared folders and files owned by people not on the team
  • Shared folders and files owned by the team that you were invited to before joining the team
  • Shared links that don’t have team-only permissions
  • Files and folders shared directly with you
  • Private unshared Paper docs
  • Paper docs shared by external (non-team) users

Are you concerned for anything in particular? Please let me know & I’ll shift my attention in addressing your thoughts a bit more accurately! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

My current concern is. I can't remember what type of account I had it was Business or Pro (more space then default account). I read responses in the community where it seemed some people did not get all their data back bc of space limitations. Should I be worried?

Highlighted

Super User

@userview wrote:

I read responses in the community where it seemed some people did not get all their data back bc of space limitations.

My understanding is that you should keep all of your files (and can manually download them via dropbox.com), but if your Dropbox account is over the limit then it won't be able to sync your files until you free up some space.

Even so, it would be a good idea to make a backup of everything that you currently have access just in case.

@userview wrote:
I can't remember what type of account I had it was Business or Pro (more space then default account).

Is it listed anywhere on this page?

https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Ah, now I see, thanks for clarifying matters here @userview; let explain in a bit more detail below!

I can't remember what type of account I had it was Business or Pro (more space then default account). I read responses in the community where it seemed some people did not get all their data back bc of space limitations. Should I be worried?
There’s two scenarios that may apply in case you previously had an upgraded plan & you revert back to an individual account. If you had a Dropbox Plus or Professional account & you’ve joined a Dropbox Business paid team, then the remaining amount of the subscription would have automatically been refunded from the moment you became a team member. After converting back to a personal (Basic) account, you should be able to re-upgrade, in order to sync your content again on your connected devices. 

Otherwise, your subscription would have continued un-interrupted in case the team is still trialing the Dropbox Business plan, therefore you shouldn’t experience any issues syncing your content across devices after the conversion. You should be able to see which one applies once you have a look on your Billing tab. 

I hope our posts have put your worries to rest & we’re always here with @Pikamander2 if you have any follow-up inquiries. Have a lovely rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?