cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Just created an account but I lost the password and email has typo in it

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I've just created a dropbox account. I have put myself in a bit of a predicament. When I created the account I used a program called keepass to generate and save the password for it. I set up my account, downloaded dropbox, and then my computer froze. Exactly why this happened is something I'm still investigating but I don't think it has anything to do with the executable I ran because it was definitely from the official website and it didn't set off my antivirus. Anyway, my computer remained completely unresponsive for several minutes and I decided to reboot it. I didn't realize that I had neglected to save the new keepass entry, so when I rebooted the computer my password was lost. On top of that, somehow I missed a character when i was typing my email so I can't get a temporary recovery password. I also can't change the email without the original password. So now there is an empty and unaccessable account with my name on it. How do I delete the account so I can start a new one, or fix my email without the original password? Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Just created an account but I lost the password and email has typo in it

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @doubleg, thanks for joining the Community!

Generally, you'd need to have access to the email address to be able to login and change the email on the Dropbox site, and the same for deleting the account.

However, since this is a brand new account, most likely no files have been synced. If this is the case, then you can just create a new account with the correct email, and also note down the password in the Keepass app. It's much easier and you wouldn't lose out on any files on the account if it was empty.

After 12 months of no access, the account with the wrong email would be deactivated automatically.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @doubleg, thanks for joining the Community!

Generally, you'd need to have access to the email address to be able to login and change the email on the Dropbox site, and the same for deleting the account.

However, since this is a brand new account, most likely no files have been synced. If this is the case, then you can just create a new account with the correct email, and also note down the password in the Keepass app. It's much easier and you wouldn't lose out on any files on the account if it was empty.

After 12 months of no access, the account with the wrong email would be deactivated automatically.

Hope this helps!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I didn't have the chance to put any of my files in it so its fine if it deletes itself. I'll be more careful when I make my new account. Thanks for clearing that up for me 😁

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Not a problem, @doubleg

If you need any further assistance in future, feel free to let me know!

Jay

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?