Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Just upgraded to 1 TB, but my Dropbox is saying that I can't add files due to "not enough space"

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I upgraded from the free version to the 1 TB upgrade recently. When I go to settings, it says that 8.4% of the 1026 GB are full. Which means I should be able to add a 48 GB folder into the dropbox; however, when I try to, it says "There is not enough space on Dropbox. You need an additional 32 GB to copy these files". It seems that I only have issues adding certian folders, maybe due to size. I have tried clearing my cache. This did not seem to help. I am on a Windows 10 computer and have tried the installed folder on my desktop and also tried doing this via Google Chrome, neither has worked. Does anyone have a solution for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Just upgraded to 1 TB, but my Dropbox is saying that I can't add files due to "not enough s

Super User II
Super User II

The message was likely referring to the amount of space available on your local hard drive, and no in your Dropbox account. When you sync your files, they reside in the Dropbox folder on your computer. This is a regular folder like any other, and it takes up space on your drive. You need to have enough available drive space to hold all the files that you wish to sync to your Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Just upgraded to 1 TB, but my Dropbox is saying that I can't add files due to "not enough s

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

There is a difference between adding files by syncing (preferred) and adding files via web interface (file size limits). Is there enough space on your hard drive? Do you have any shared-folders with other users?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the dropbox folder on my computer where I am having this error. I believe that is what you mean by syncing. I have tried using the web interface method, as well, where nothing happens when I try to upload. I don't get an error, but it doesn't upload either. I do not have any shared folders on my dropbox and my Dropbox says that it is only 8% full.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The message was likely referring to the amount of space available on your local hard drive, and no in your Dropbox account. When you sync your files, they reside in the Dropbox folder on your computer. This is a regular folder like any other, and it takes up space on your drive. You need to have enough available drive space to hold all the files that you wish to sync to your Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?