cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep being asked to link device even though it's already linked

Keep being asked to link device even though it's already linked

MeDropB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I've been having an issue for a while whereby it seems that whenever I try to log into the app on any of my devices, I'm told that I've reached my device limit and need to unlink a device. When I look at the list of linked devices, the device I'm trying to log in with is already listed as a linked device. It's happened a few times on Android, iOS and Windows.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advanceScreenshot_20210114-223157_2.jpg

6 Replies 6

Re: Keep being asked to link device even though it's already linked

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @MeDropB, I hope you're having a good day!

If you have uninstalled the app, and the device was not correctly unlinked from the account in the process, then the device will still show as being connected.

The Pixel is being seen as a new connection, which can happen after uninstalling without signing out of the app (unlinking), or if the OS of the device was updated since it was last connected.

Since it's being seen as a new device, I'd suggest unlinking the older Pixel connection to free up the space, so that you can reconnect it to your account.

I hope this helps, keep me posted with how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MeDropB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thanks for responding.

No, I haven't reinstalled the app, or the OS since last logging in, nor had I previously all of the other times that the same thing has happened.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @MeDropB,

Just mark a tick next to the second Android and press unlink button. 😉

Hope this helps.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @MeDropB, when you say 'log into the app', do you mean accessing it while it's connected, or do you mean logging in with your username?

Do you sign out of your accounts when you're not using the app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MeDropB
Explorer | Level 3
Hi, I mean that I already have the app installed on my devices and have already linked the devices previously and accessed the app on those devices, but on numerous occasions when I next go to access my files using the app I'm told that I need to first unlink a device. When I'm shown my list of linked devices, the device I'm trying to use is already listed as one of my linked devices.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@MeDropB wrote:
... when I next go to access my files using the app I'm told that I need to first unlink a device. When I'm shown my list of linked devices, the device in trying to use is already listed as one of my linked devices.

Hi @MeDropB,

If you "need to first unlink a device", that mean you don't have active logical link to you account (for whatever reason)! If you connected device's links count isn't falling in your plan limitation (if any), then you have to unlink some device(s), so you have least 1 available "place". For Basic plan, device's links count limitation is 3 links, all together (including possible inactive links, not explicitly removed).

When some your device (seems without active link - as in your case) is already listed as one of your devices, that means the established link got break, but still not removed! That's why I told you to mark the second Android device (with broken, but still existing link), to unlink it (i.e. completely remove the broken link) and link anew.

Hope this adds clarity enough.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?