cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking dropbox accounts

Linking dropbox accounts

1yen
Explorer | Level 3

I have had a personal dropbox account for years (since 2012).  Recently, through my university, I purchased a business account plan.  I had hoped to be able to link my personal account to my business account, but am having no success.

On further investigation, I found the following issues, which really confuse me.  When I look at my dropbox account information from my desktop client, it says that my "personal" account is actually classified as "Dropbox Business".  When I log into dropbox through a webbrowser, my personal account is listed as a "Dropbox Basic" plan.  So I do not know what my account is.

For certain, when I try to link this account with my new business account it says that my personal account is not actually a personal account.  And this is where I am stuck.  Why is my "personal" account listed differently on a web browser and on my desktop client?  Why can't I link it to my business account?

3 Replies 3

Re: Linking dropbox accounts

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @1yen, thanks for messaging the Community!

It's possible you're not on a Dropbox Business team, but a free team.

In order to be certain, could you let me know exactly what plan you see on this page?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

1yen
Explorer | Level 3
It says Dropbox Basic

Jay
Dropboxer

Okay, this means that you're on a free team, which you can leave, or delete if you're the admin, by following these steps.

Doing so will convert your account back to a personal plan, and then you can link it to the business account using the steps in this article.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?