Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Location of your servers

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi,
for legal reasons I would like to know where are my files physically located. Are they in the US?
I need to know that because I use Dropbox for my work, too, and I store many data of my customers.
Thank you

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: Location of your servers

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Legal reasons dont have any bearing on it, because regardless of where the data is stored, the US government can still compel Dropbox as a US company to grant access to law enforcement officers.

But their servers are in the US.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Server location does have a legal bearing especially as EU GDPR comes into force next year.  For accreditation purposes I shall be moving my data elsewhere.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Barry.

No need to move your data. Even with the DPA (and the new GDPR) your data can still be held by DropBox, as this would come under the 'Privacy Shield' (in place to give clear guidance around data protection requirements).  Privacy Shield replaces the previous 'Safe Harbour'.

The new EU GDPR comes into force on 25th May 2018 so there's plenty of time to get everything in line, so I wouldn't worry about the servers being in the US (of course this is dependent on the type of data you're holding).

Hope this is helpful.  I can be found on LinkedIn if you need anything else

Gary

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Barry... You might also be interested to see the following blog which has JUST been published - https://blogs.dropbox.com/business/2016/09/making-european-infrastructure-available-to-our-customers...

Hope this works for you.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Willthis also be available for Dropbox Por?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

The new infrastructure was for Business accounts. I believe Plus and Basic accounts are still running on Amazon AWS servers, which are in the US.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

I heard an official Feedback via E-Mail stating that it is only available for Dropbox Business accounts which purchase 250+ users.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@lycra - thanks for that. So basically its actually Enterprise users who can request offshore servers.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?