cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Locked out of my account for over 7 years!

Locked out of my account for over 7 years!

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

Ever since dropbox started forcing its users to change password, I’ve been locked out of my account.

I no longer have access to my email and I’ve tried several ways to access my account including customer support but they have not been helpful.

Im a musician and I have songs on there that I wrote years ago that I’ve not heard since and it’s really upsetting that Dropbox will not allow me to access my account even though I am using the correct username + pass.

it’s easy for admin to see I’ve been trying to access this account since about 2016 and clearly nobody else has logged in since I’ve been contacting support.

I’m wondering if anybody could help me with this? I think I made up random credentials when opening the account so I couldn’t pass that security check. Has anyone had luck with asking support to temporarily remove the restriction so that I can log in with my credentials and change the email once I’ve regained access?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Lloyd

19 Replies 19

Rich
Super User II

@lloydmc  wrote:
Has anyone had luck with asking support to temporarily remove the restriction so that I can log in with my credentials and change the email once I’ve regained access?

They won't do it. Without access to the email address on your account, or another device already linked to your account, it won't be possible to gain access. Your email address is the only way to verify ownership of the account. Your best bet will be to contact the email service provider and see if they can reinstate your email address, even if it's just temporary, so you can receive reset information.

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4
Why do they do this? I’ve never used any other service that has this requirement. They have definitely lost me, an I’m sure a lot of other users. The platform is fine but these kind of ‘security measures’ make it too risky to use. People can get locked out of their email for good. It’s not like that never happens

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lloydmc , and sorry to jump in here. 

Do you, by any chance, receive an error message stating that your Dropbox password’s expired? 

Can you send more details on what you see exactly on your end, when trying to sign in? 

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mark
Super User II

If you've not accessed it since 2016 its almost certainly been deleted due to inactivity @lloydmc  😞

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/email-about-inactive-account

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Nancy,

Yes it’s the password expired message.

See our Help Centre for more information about password expiry and securing your account.
Enter your email address to reset your password. You may need to check your spam folder or unblock no-reply@dropbox.com.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying that, Lloyd. 

Do you happen to have any other devices that may still be connected to your Dropbox account, by any chance?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for the message Nancy.

Unfortunately not. However my email address is my full name @hotmail.com and I was hoping they would accept my ID as verification but I don’t think that’s the case..

Rich
Super User II

@lloydmc  wrote:
However my email address is my full name @hotmail.com ...

Contact Hotmail/Microsoft and see if you can regain access to (or recreate) your email account.

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for the messages Rich. I’ve have tried this but no avail 😕
Need more support?