cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Locked out of my account for over 7 years!

Locked out of my account for over 7 years!

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

Ever since dropbox started forcing its users to change password, I’ve been locked out of my account.

I no longer have access to my email and I’ve tried several ways to access my account including customer support but they have not been helpful.

Im a musician and I have songs on there that I wrote years ago that I’ve not heard since and it’s really upsetting that Dropbox will not allow me to access my account even though I am using the correct username + pass.

it’s easy for admin to see I’ve been trying to access this account since about 2016 and clearly nobody else has logged in since I’ve been contacting support.

I’m wondering if anybody could help me with this? I think I made up random credentials when opening the account so I couldn’t pass that security check. Has anyone had luck with asking support to temporarily remove the restriction so that I can log in with my credentials and change the email once I’ve regained access?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Lloyd

19 Replies 19

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

In this case, can you please follow these steps and open a ticket with our support, @lloydmc ?

1. Make sure that you are NOT signed in to ANY Dropbox account in your internet browser.

2. Go to this page, and click on the “Can’t sign in?” option. 

3. Scroll down the page to “Submit a Help Request”.

4. Enter your information, make sure that you enter an email address that you currently have access to, and submit it. 

5. You will then receive a confirmation email that will have a ticket number. 

Please send me your ticket number here afterwards. 

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks again for your message Nancy.

The ticket number is: 16970408

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that, Lloyd.

I’ve left an internal note to the agent who’s handling your ticket, in case there’s something more they can do on their end. 

If there’s something else you need, give me a shout!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gcnd
New member | Level 2

"locked out"

I registered a dropbox account with a work email.

I no longer work for that company and hence have no access to the email.

Dropbox is not recognizing the password that I set.

How can I unlock the account?

Rich
Super User II

@gcnd wrote:

I registered a dropbox account with a work email.

I no longer work for that company and hence have no access to the email.

You need access to the email address on your account in order to receive reset information. There's no other way. Contact your previous company and see if they can give you temporary access to the email address, or at least forward you any reset information it receives.

gcnd
New member | Level 2

The previous company will not assist.

Mark
Super User II

@gcnd unfortunately then there is no way to recover the account

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

lloydmc
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for your help.

The team helped me get back into my account, which is amazing since I’ve been locked out for so long and tried so many times. Really appreciate your help.

Upon entering my account I noticed all the files were gone, only empty folders. Trying to speak with the team now to see if it’s possible to restore - My guess is it’s not.

Either way I’m incredibly grateful for your help, so thanks again. You’re a star!

Ivan79
New member | Level 2
Мой диск пустой(( не заходил 7 лет

Mark
Super User II

Accounts are removed after 12 months of inactivity. 

Unfortunately there is no way to recover accounts deleted this way.

Аккаунты удаляются через 12 месяцев бездействия.

К сожалению, нет возможности восстановить удаленные таким образом учетные записи.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?