cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Login Name

Login Name

JLSIMSJR10
Explorer | Level 3
I have a Dropbox account I can’t login to due to my login name being my email address and the email provider (AT&T) deleted my account. How can I get in touch with Dropbox ie a live person so they can let me change my login name. Dropbox wants to send me verification information to that email account that I no longer can access due to it being deleted.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Login Name

Mark
Super User II

Are you still logged in somewhere? If so I'd suggest downloading everything quickly. 

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/lost-email-access

The official answer is you need to set up a new account and move everything over. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II

Are you still logged in somewhere? If so I'd suggest downloading everything quickly. 

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/lost-email-access

The official answer is you need to set up a new account and move everything over. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

JLSIMSJR10
Explorer | Level 3
I can’t login to original Dropbox account. Don’t know anyway to access it without Dropbox helping me. I am only trying to get/move pictures into new Dropbox account just created. If no one can help me and if I can’t discuss this with an actual person that works at Dropbox I will discontinue using Dropbox and go to other service provider to start storing my pictures.

JLSIMSJR10
Explorer | Level 3
I can’t access original account at all. Can’t move what I can’t access.

Mark
Super User II

Without access to your email account or a device logged in there is no way of getting back access to that account I'm afraid. 

As https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/lost-email-access says :

For security reasons, we can’t change the email address on your account for you.

JLSIMSJR10
Explorer | Level 3
If a company can just delete a person’s email account out of there server with no warning to the email account holder Dropbox personal should be able to either change my login name upon request or send me the pictures upon request with me supplying proof it is my account.

Mark
Super User II

Except the proof that the account is yours is the email account you used. All other forms of proof are far too easily forged. 

Think of it the other way - you have an account and somebody emails in to ask them to change the email on your account to a different one, which they do based on those forged documents (or ones they scammed from email hack etc.). Would you be happy? I wouldnt. 

Dropbox have plenty of security measures in place to help mitigate this - multiple emails on an account, text backup etc. 

Unfortunately if you've not set these up then there is no way to help.

JLSIMSJR10
Explorer | Level 3
I can’t move everything over without help from Dropbox as I can’t access my original account.

Mark
Super User II

The only way to get access to that account is to get your email access back. 

You'll need to speak to AT&T for that. Without the email account you cannot get back in to your Dropbox account

JLSIMSJR10
Explorer | Level 3
No haven’t logged in for maybe a week or more. I have created another Dropbox account but have not found a way to access my original account. I still think it will take someone that works for Dropbox to get the pictures back for me.
Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?